What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

Houellebecq - Serotonin
Verne - Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

3 Likes

1 Like

I’ve been on a massive Stephen king kick for the last year or so and I’ve read 26 of his books in a row thus far this year. Whenever I go to look for a new book I get sucked into grabbing another one of his for some reason.

Currently I’m reading the Dark tower series and im loving it. I’m the fourth book in the series at the moment: Wolves of the Calla. Couldn’t recommend it more.

2 Likes

I just read Exhalation by Ted Chiang
It’s basically a bunch of short stories, but holy shit that guy is good at the sci-fi. :flushed:
Crazy good.

One story has probably the most interesting “time travel” idea I’ve ever read.

3 Likes

Comics count, right?
Re-reading Paul Popes Martian Sci-Fi adventure THB.
Highly recommend his work. The way he draws motion and kinetic energy… so good

3 Likes

Just finished re-reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I read it back when I was about 20, and now in my 50s wanted to see how it might be different. Mainly, I’d say I am pleasantly surprised that the freedoms he suggests you give yourself to think differently than you might have been taught, which were such a revelation to me then, are now a daily practice for me.

4 Likes

Definitely. I’m feeling just about stable enough to tackle some more Junji Ito. Read Uzumaki last year and holy shit, that is incredible and horrific in equal measure. Gyo is next.

2 Likes

I will look into this.

Just found David Gemmell’s entire Jon Shannow trilogy sitting on the shelf at my local library (they’re usually checked out). Haven’t read them in years.

So for the next few days I’ll be bingeing on post-apocalyptic western goodness!

About to start out on the Altered Carbon trilogy. I’ve read Carbon and Angels before, ages ago though. Just watched series 1 again on Netflix, I still think it’s one of the best tv sci-fi adaptations going (unlike series 2) - dark, violent, stylish, sexy and funny too.

2 Likes

I’m wanting to read that too, really enjoyed the first Netflix series. The second… Yeah. :confused:

I’m reading Shardik by Richard Adams. Was bought for me as it was the inspiration for the cybernetic bear of the same name from Stephen King’s The Dark Tower books. I’ve never read any Richard Adams so had no expectations but this is a unique book, the story has evolved into something I couldn’t have expected.

1 Like

Yes it joins Vikings in the ‘should have left it alone after a certain point’ series (after Ragnar died)! But that’s not uncommon. Might give Shardik a go, that sounds good.

1 Like

Recently finished:
51R+vYz8DRL.SX332_BO1,204,203,200

download (1)

Working my way through:

Saved for later:

As may be evident, amongst the UFOs and archetypal symbolism, I’m on a bit of an “alternatives to mainstream education” streak. As someone who works in education, this is both an inspiring and slightly jarring experience…

Oh, and I still have ‘The Casebook of Sherlock Homes’ to turn to for grounding purposes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Current: The WInd-Up Bird Chronicle, Murakami. Second time around.

5 Likes

Absolutely love Murakami but after reading every single book of him, I’m really having trouble starting with another author. Does somebody have some recommendations for Murakami Fan Boys?

I don’t know if these are specificall suited to Murakami fanboys, but I also read recently all of Kazuo Ishiguro (nowhere near as surreal as Muarakami, but a great writer.)

Any other writer you have liked particularily?

Metagenealogy - Alejandro Jodorowsky and Maria Costa
Memories, Dreams, Reflections - C.G. Jung
Turn Of Your Mind - Gary Lachman

I’m thinking about rereading Robert Anton Wilson’s Prometheus Rising next since it’s been a while.

1 Like

I suggest psychoactive drugs next.

1 Like

I’m sorry, who’s the author? :joy:

1 Like

It’s you, you’re the author :crazy_face:

3 Likes