What are you reading right now/have you read lately?

That’s a good answer! :slight_smile:

I just started Ancillary Justice! Loving it. Bought the other two as well.

sci fi nerds!!!

1 Like

I ll hop on that train. Just listened to the audiobook The Dispossessed by Ursula K LeGuin. What a wonderful book. I feel i ve earned a degree in political science just by listening to this. Of course the futurism is just a frame to criticize both capitalism and anarchism (one of the 2 main planets is run by an idealized anarchist collectivism, sounds perfect at first but then the unavoidable cracks start appearing). It s beautifully laid out how human nature will sooner or later clash with any overly rigid political ideology. Ending s the weakest part though.

3 Likes

Nice! Great book. I was at a used book store in SF not too long ago, and they had a bunch of Murakami’s books (I’d only read IQ84 and Kafka on the Shore, so anyway, I bought every other book he’d written that they had, and there a lot of them. I still need to venture back into them, but I like to read one, then do other stuff for a while, then read another one.

1 Like

Just finished reading the 9th and last installment of the Expanse books. Really, really good writing all the way around. The ending was pretty predictable, but didn’t disappoint either.

1 Like

Odd that Stephenson writes about technology and media being used to manipulate and prop up politicians and presidential candidates with a capital riot as a plot point… in 1994…

Just finished Making Beats

Currently reading Techno Rebels

Moon Palace, Paul auster.

3 Likes

Classic!

Myself, with all the Metaverse talk, I figured I’d read the book that started it all, Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, but I didn’t really like it much at all. I wonder how it ended up being so influential, maybe I’d feel differently about it if I had read it in the 90s.

The last one I finished was James S.A. Comey’s The Expanse (the 9th book, which only recently was published and concluded the series). That was phenomenal, the whole series is totally worth it, what a great SciFi world and well written too, super entertaining.

Right now I’m rereading Mike Senior’s Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio, excellent book.

2 Likes

Yeah, weak book IMO. There aren’t many so called cyberpunk authors worth reading other than Gibson, who is still a great stylist.

1 Like

Reading:
.The Hidden Life of Trees - Peter Wohlleben

Coming in:
. The Fertile Earth: Nature’s Energies in Agriculture, Soil Fertilisation and Forestry - Viktor Schauberger
. The Secret Life of Plants: A Fascinating Account of the Physical, Emotional, and Spiritual Relations Between Plants and Man - Peter Tompkins

1 Like

Just started reading The Wall.

It’s cold and there is a lot of concrete and that is all I know after four chapters…

1 Like

You’re cheating yourself if you’re not also reading LeGuin!

5 Likes

Haven’t had the focus to pick up anything new in a little while but things I finished recently that I would wholeheartedly recommend:

1 Like

Can’t like this comment enough. And Octavia Butler!

There was a lot of talk around Jesmin over on Lines recently. Next time I’m feeling some sci-fi, definitely picking it up.

3 Likes

So far the first two books in the Inheritance trilogy are really good but not as great as Jemisin’s Broken Earth trilogy, while I’m taking a break between book 2 and 3 of inheritance I quite literally couldn’t put down Broken Earth until I finished the whole thing!

1 Like

That’s exactly what they were saying. I’ll make sure to warn my family.

2 Likes

LeGuin is good, but a bit too fantastical for my tastes

1 Like

That’s a fair critic, I’ve always enjoyed when the two genres are blended a little.

1 Like

I‘m reading right now all Dune books, again after 20 years. So far, I enjoy :blush:

4 Likes