What are your most modern & iconic sounds (synthesis) when it comes to club music?

Hello Everyone.

What are your most modern & iconic sounds (sound design / synthesis) when it comes to club music ? (synth sound that became “famous” for you and make this particular track a tune for you …)

Modern : meaning from 2000’s til today

I’m preparing a course for my student and i want to enlarge my vision. Please keep in mind what i will ask is club oriented and not the ERA where most of the stuff was kindly picked from expanders like XV / E-MU / JV-1080 … so maybe we can exclude the 90’s club synth sounds. Let’s ignore chords and stabs as well (the variety and usage are too huge)

Remember the tracks and why it’s such a big impact for you. Please post the youtube link with the timestamps where the synth sound start to play. But it can also be a secondary synth sounds (not the theme) just because you find the synthesis/the design very interesting/never heard…

i will post some examples so you can understand what kind of example i’m after

I already know i can do better in my selection, or that i will forget a gigantic amount of stuff. But next, what’s the purpose to ask help here :slight_smile:

The main lead sound heavily portamento »ish » of Bodyrox yeah yeah

The SWEEP FX in ROACH MOTEL « WILD LUV » coming at 3:27 (RRRWoueeeep) repeting over and over

The SWEEP SYNTH of beroshima deebeephunky

The main synth in Mandarine Girl by Booka Shade

The BOOKA SHADE Bass (sure the bass line as note plays an important role)

Everything from John Tejada is usually a great travel in sound synthesis

1 Like

Alpha Juno - What The? Aka the rave hoover.
TB-303 - Acid
Lately/Solid Bass - TX81z/DX100
Juno6/60 unison square wave bass

All used on countless records, unmistakable.

10 Likes
3 Likes

What’s your favorite song that uses the Rave Hoover ?

1 Like

Mentasm. Joey Beltram, the original.

6 Likes

Does anyone know if Mr Oizo flat beat bass was done with a mini Moog or MS20?

50 second mark

2 Likes

I know you said “no 90s”… but this is basically just one sound, and some drums. It’s monstrous:

10 Likes

I only ever heard it said it was MS-20, sounds like it to me.

A few people have done recreations on youtube using MS-20.

5 Likes

…these oizo bass lines, his whole low end design, is some of the best i know…

and i’ve heard the rumours, too, about that ms20 thing…
analog worms is still a stunning album…

4 Likes

confirmed by the mr himself in the alex ball video comment section. And some more info…

2 Likes

Roland JP-8000 with the SuperSaw!

4 Likes

What are your most modern & iconic sounds (synthesis) when it comes to club music?

Meaning sound designed and used in a track, you post the example of the track (youtube) and give the timestamp so we can catch what synth sound you talking about. @Uija @darenager : you gives synth model like Roland JP-8000, MS-20, TX81z…

that doesn’t help me here. (sorry to say that don’t think i’m not thankful for the replies) To a certain degree a lot of sound could be design on every synth… (not with same feeling, not with that vintage, not with the same warmth and in some case like hoover, acid sounds well i agree Alpha Juno and TB303 are certainly more capable to get on point with the tone and how the sound behave)

I don’t know how to phrase the thread well to people to understand. :confused:
I don’t care about the synth itself it’s all about the sounds (synthesis/sound design)
(even if i know there’s a correlation in some degrees)

hope you understand better now :slight_smile:
and thanks for the replies anyway

@obscurerobot
I’m certainly keen to share with what i come with this thread at the end.
(for free as i usually do here for quite a while now)

:grinning:

1 Like

The Korg M1 organ sound from Show Me Love. So gooood…

4 Likes

@Synthtastic

Sure i agree but like the Pizzicato String for Faithless “Insomnia” it comes straight as a factory preset on the JV-1080 - The M1 Organ comes straight as a preset on the KORG M1. (that’s why i put away the 90’s because i know people would replied exactly what people actually replied for now)

I seek for artist/musician sound signatures in terms of sound synthesis / sound design (club music)

:grinning:

Anyway, as i’m French … i may not express myself exactly well, i knew that this thread was going to be complicated

2 Likes

Reese Bass / Kevin Saunderson

2 Likes

@trackerjack Thanks

(we can exclude the 90’s club synth sounds) This one is from 1988, anyway : This one is on my list even thought it seems the technique after the basic oscillators detuned appart was a series of resampling to get it. (from what i have read) and i’m kind of seeking sounds synthesis that can be learn on most VST and Hardware synth. But we can come close to satisfying results with this one.

Tale of us, at about 3 mins and then for the rest of the track, angry bees sound ? Don’t know what was used to make it though

3 Likes

Ah ok so to recap/elucidate you want examples of more unique but signature sounds made by a specific artist rather than iconic/classic sounds that appear on many records? So not presets or simple things like x0x stuff etc.

1 Like