What book are you reading and why

I’ve stalled out again on “Naked Lunch.” …i’ll finish it someday but it’s just such a strange tale.

I’m currently reading “the most dangerous man in america,” about Timothy Leary’s struggle with Nixon. it’s my kind of fascinating.

Queued up is “chariot of the gods” because I like reading about alien stuff.

2 Likes

the whole alien space god thing is such an interesting twist. I dont believe a word of it, but it’s a fun point of view.

1 Like

One of the most original pieces of 20th century literature around. You probably know already but there’s a reason it’s hard to follow. If you’re unfamiliar, look up how it was written. The method isn’t exactly shocking by today’s standards but when it was published it was pretty mind boggling.

4 Likes

good ol’ junkie literature.

I feel compelled to always have a book or two on my nightstand nowadays just to set an example for my customers and have something to talk about with them.

Lately I’ve been reading Rollo by a finnish dude called Tommi Liimatta. It’s basically his 700 page memoir of how he and a bunch of his friends started one of the most influential progressive rock bands in Finland when they were just 15 year old kids. A great read. Especially for a fanboy of Absoluuttinen Nollapiste, his band.

Today I brought home this book from work that a customer sold me. The Overstory by Richard Powers. It won the Pulitzer prize in 2019 and it’s supposed to be ”The Great American Eco Novel”. Can’t wait to start reading it.

So much great stuff runs through my fingers daily that I have a hard time not bringing all of them home. Voivod vinyls, Star Wars action figures, amazing comic books etc. I have a great philosophy/esoteria/occult-section in my shop. Today I bought a bunch of intriguing occult(ish) books from a guy. It included the notorius sixth and seventh books of Moses in it which in Finland is called ”The Black Bible”.

Have I told you lately that I love my job?

6 Likes

Just mind blowing how the network around Putin is unravelled and how KGB-methods (like fake companies and money laundering) are still used to this day to intimidate opponents and maintain a power base.

6 Likes

I’ll have to add that to my list.
I read his Orfeo and loved it.

1 Like

Always have a couple on the go.
Morning reading, Bedtime reading

Why?
A poetic reminder of the immediacy of direct experience, closer than my own face!

Why?
I just love a bit of Sherlock, especially at bedtime.

4 Likes

Just finished Idoru by William Gibson and about to start The Peripheral by the same author. Read quite a few Gibson books over the years and am not tired of it yet

5 Likes

11 Likes

I just finished re-reading it and it’s a great novel, after the Blue Ant trilogy is nice to have him back at “real” sci-fi. Can’t wait for the third book to be out.

1 Like

Currently re-reading From The Atelier Tovar - a collection of diary scribbles and articles written by Canadian filmmaker Guy Maddin. I guess this one’s for inspiration.

Love this book, along with most of his others too. I’ve read a few books about running but this one gets closest to ‘it’, for me anyway.

Love this book from what I can remember of it. It does capture that running high. I also loved that he asked Raymond Carver (or his estate, I can’t remember) for permission to use a title so close to What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. Another awesome Raymond Carver title: Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? What a legend.

1 Like

Currently on Book Of Drexciya Volume 2.
Just came in the mail as I was finally finishing Vol 1.

Both are graphic novels.

Sub aquatic electro life. Did Drex do the writing and illustrations?

Restoration Agriculture - Mark Shepard.

We have 140m2 of permaculture garden (allotment) that we started 2 years ago so we’ve been learning a lot by trial and error but also by reading a lot. This book is not just about that though. It’s about the ‘bigger’ picture of the world we live in today. It was first published in 2013. I find it wise and informative on many different levels. The bottom line is there is nothing more important than food and how it is produced. The consequences of which clearly have a huge impact on all life and future lives.

RA

9 Likes

At the moment I’m in the middle of Stephen King’s Finder keepers, the second book in a trilogy. I just finished Mr. Mercedes the other day and had to jump to the next one. I’ve been on a big King kick lately I’m working my way though his catalog. As far as synth manuals I’m re-reading the Waldorf iridium manual (which leaves much to be desired) and the Elektron Digitone manual.

Terry Riley’s In C by Robert Carl. Lately, before finding this book, I begin to be hooked and a bit obsessive about learning and listening to as much as I can to In C. Now, I am reading this book and enjoy it so far. This article by Tero Parviainen on In C is one of the nicest introduction to it imho.

Terry Riley's In C

4 Likes

I always have 3-5 books going simply because I get the impulse to start reading a new book more often than I get the impulse to finish a book, hah. Right now three:

51z-B143qxL.SX323_BO1,204,203,200

My favourite author. His fiction is naturally excellent, but I feel he’s even more topical and ahead of his time in these interviews. Very acute observations on the nature and future of western culture.

Book about the strong occult undercurrent that penetrates early 20th century art. Very interesting book.

5 Likes