What ideas can’t you shed, despite knowing better?

What ideas or conclusions do you continue to hold, despite having later learned they are incorrect?

I’m just thinking about those smaller things, perhaps where the march of technology has made an old approach redundant, but your brain nonetheless holds on defiantly to the earlier information.

It could be stuff like shimmer reverb is bad, or side-chaining is cool. Or you should wait until your phone battery is almost entirely flat before charging. Maybe it’s a boardgame rule you grew up playing and only realised your error in adulthood, but you can’t unlearn it. Maybe it’s the 10-2 steering wheel position…

Mine is definitely the battery thing, despite knowing battery types, technology and charging controller sophistication have dramatically changed in the last 10 years.

What’s yours?

Getting smashed.

7 Likes

The two that bother me the most…

“No chords allowed” for some genres of music.
You must you this bass drum sound for that type of music.

1 Like

That improvised techno jams are cool.

5 Likes

The fear of fours.

1 Like

This one isn’t mine, but all those pdf reader app developers who can’t shake the idea that default zoom on opening should be scaled to as wide as the screen instead of 100%.

Yes, great, scale my doc to 308% zoom so that when I open it all I can see is the header which is blank.