What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

And that brings us to…

• “No matter how much you polish a turd, it’s still a turd :poop:

• There’s no such thing as cheating when making music.

• There is no originality left, only Authenticity.

9 Likes

always be nice to the sound engineer (and bar staff)

12 Likes

I heard this one in reference to setting an eq while mixing.

2 Likes

is king child the name of a band?

1 Like

-The listener doesn’t care what pedal you’re using. Do what works for you.

-Play music everyday if you want to improve. It’s more helpful to play 15 minutes everyday than 10 hours once a week.

-if you can’t hide it, feature it. I learned that in regards to building but it applies to mistakes when playing live.

-Don’t fear sincerity.

-“If you’re going to be a musician you better do it because you love it. That Bon Jovi money is long gone.”
-Ice T

12 Likes

The best music is the friends you made along the way.

5 Likes

Just listend to the Why We Bleep podcast with Surgeon. And he quoted something like

“The only one who is holding us back is us”

And it is true that way.

Also the advice “give your ears rest” is a huge impact. Fresh ears is so important.

And the last one ask for feedback in a comfortable community and share your feedback to others by critically listen to others and give constructive feedback. It makes you a better listener and others hear your song for the first time and can therefor translate the feeling.

You never going to feel / hear your song for the first time again. But that feeling of the first time is very important for people.

2 Likes

With every track you make, try something new. A new technique, a new sound, a new source of inspiration. Let the track be the documentary of that exploration.

18 Likes

Perfect is the enemy of good.

An ounce of practice is worth a ton of theory.

“There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law.”
― Claude Debussy

Make of these three what you will.

4 Likes

Write drunk, edit sober :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it.

Salvador Dali

6 Likes

But you can run a fart through a Valhalla Shimmer, and make ambient!

8 Likes

uhhhh, what a line!

There’s also advise that doesn’t come at the right moment.

Around 2007 I recorded a record for the first time. Together with my fellow student jazzband, none of us who actually studied jazz, more of an amateur/party-for-hire kind of gigging band of 18-23 year olds. All amateurs enjoying playing some tunes at weddings and stuff. Sometimes one of us wouldn’t be able to come play, so we’d have a roster of áctual jazz cats from the local conservatory to come stand in with us. One of them would be as good as the 7 of us combined. But we had fun, and they loved gigging with us, for some cash and laughs.

Then at some point, we were readying to hit the studio, having saved money from gigs and practiced for the recording session for months. About a week before, we asked the biggest&baddest conservatorium friend we had, to come listen to a session and give some last tips.

In our minds he’d come in and set us up with some last great licks, harmonies, help write a great ending left and right, sort out some mistakes, etc. Instead, we started playing the first of our 12 tracks, and within 15 seconds he said: “Okay, guys, guys, stop!! No. With jazz…, you tell a history!”

We weren’t able to learn to tell a history in the last three days before hitting the studio. We still had fun though:) In hindsight we should’ve probably asked clearer what we were asking them lol. We still laugh about it 12 years later, so it was still worth it:) And in hindsight it was proper advise of course.

5 Likes

But you can roll it in glitter (or reverb)

4 Likes

great story though!

1 Like

It’s not about gear

Be yourself

Reminds me of the Miles Davis quote “Its not the notes,its the spaces between the notes” or something similar.Really like that and makes a lot of sense.

3 Likes

Lots of great advice in here, but I especially like this!

1 Like

I apply that one to a lot of stuff in life.

1 Like