What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

“don’t sell your monomachine. no wait what are you doing I said don’t selll it… arrghhhh”

I should have taken the advice

6 Likes

Makes it crunchy at least :man_shrugging:

1 Like

nice sound guys are few and far between, usually they should be the ones to take that advice by heart.

1 Like

My headmaster told me to get a hair cut if I wanted to get a decent job. That was the best motivational comment I ever had to become a musician.

4 Likes

“Your hihats are probably too loud” had me seeing them as less of the main course and more as a side dish. Other percussion such as toms, crash, cowbell, etc… is like the seasoning. Helped me get better drum mixes. Though some would argue “more cowbell” :blush:

Also finishing tracks because if you don’t, you’re missing out on that last 10% of polish which is an important skill to learn.

4 Likes

All mixing tips are always “your kick is always too loud”, “lower the volume of your hihats”, “your bass will be most likely be too much”, lower x, lessen y. But what do I put louder?? Or is all that’s left silence??

Edit: o I see, cowbell

6 Likes

I think ultimately only the artist can say what the levels should be at for individual parts. The advice however had me start to really listen actively to each part for better balancing.

I guess that would lead to another piece of advice, there are no rules in music, just trust your ears.

2 Likes

If you’re sui generis you’re probably not posting on any GASsy music forum anyway so a moot point :wink:

I recently picked up Mastering Audio, Third Edition and will be nose-down soon but I’m curious what sort of areas to concentrate on sonic experimentations.

Sure “know what you’re doing” is essential but if you could give a person a nudge in the broad direction it would help :slight_smile:

1 Like

A good bassist and a good drummer make a good band.

You are not as good as you think you are. You are also not as bad as you think you are.

Learn your scales really well. Then “forget” them, play with feel and your fingers will know where to go.

4 Likes

The funny thing about your number 2 is that I really don’t listen to the kind of music I write, so I probably wouldn’t buy it. I just enjoy making it. Haha.

Other advice:

1. Gear doesn’t matter unless it does.
  2. Don’t take anyone’s advice unless it’s good.
  3. Respect everyone.
  4. Make music you want to make
  5. Music isn’t for making money unless you don’t necessarily care about #4.
  6. You don’t need a record label.
  7. Social media won’t get you heard, good music will.
  8. Good music won’t get you heard, social media will.
  9. Don’t take too much stock in lists of musical advice.
12 Likes

Be mindful of root bias.

It’s easy to default to riding the root note of a chord on bass or starting a phrase on a new chord change with the root note. But it can be so much more interesting if you don’t.

10 Likes

The Classic : Less is more.
Not to mix up with : @Ess is Fors.

3 Likes

Maybe already said but, “don’t play too many notes.” (John Lennon)

4 Likes

Good advice there. I was once in a band where the bassist couldn’t wrap his head around that. He was eventually replaced with an octave pedal until a new bassist could be found.

1 Like

As soon as there are rules it’s homework (Aphex Twin)

14 Likes

Put a donk on it.

16 Likes

I forgot about Put A Donk On It! That’s right up there with “detune two oscillators, than what”

1 Like

#2 is really referring to the quality of the output of what you’re offering up for other people to purchase, for example if what you think what you have is a throw away beat that you made while making a ham sandwich and don’t think of it as something worthy of being purchased , then don’t pawn it off on another… when it was actually given to me it was said in a little harsher way as I was planning to sell a collection of throw away beats and my friend said why would you try to sell some shit that you wouldn’t even buy yourself, don’t do that… and it has always stuck with me… on the other hand I have had the experience of people having a more favorable opinion of something I made than I did myself but that is an entirely different kind of issue.

I think even if it’s not the kind of music you listen to that you can still objectively put a finger on the pulse of something you’re creating, especially if you have the skills to create it, then you most likely have the skills to judge it’s content… an example of this is how often people say they don’t care for Prince’s music but that they recognize how good it is.

another good one that I’ve gotten is

“keep it on the one son”

3 Likes

This one is full of amazing advice, Wooten style :slight_smile:

2 Likes