What is the Best Musical Advice You've Ever Gotten?

Practice

5 Likes

I was mostly joking :slight_smile: One should always strive to release music of quality.

1 Like

but it was relevant though, I’m like you an actually don’t produce the same kind of music that is my favorite to listen to

1 Like

KISS theory

K eep
I t
S imple
S tupid

and

turn everything down!!

If everything’s highlighted, nothing’s highlighted.

8 Likes

@SpaceTraffic
punk angst ( the movement)?

logs off of the internet

1 Like

Best musical advice though?

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

The G altered scale is just a G# melodic minor ascending

2 Likes

This isn’t really advice given but more of a lesson learned: Be your own worst critic. Never let anything pass that you have nagging doubts about. But also don’t overdo it, music is never perfect and there will always be things you will look back upon and wish you would have maybe done things differently. You have to both look at your music objectively (e.g. is this good? Is it worth releasing? Would I listen to this if it was made by someone else?) and subjectively (Is this the best that I can do? Am I satisfied with what I’ve made?). It took me years to understand this oxymoron, but I’m not really there yet to be abled to make these distinctions well enough to be fully satisfied with anything I’ve released.

6 Likes

Never give a sucker an even breakbeat.

Hold steady

never be afraid to hurt someone’s feelings or to get your feelings hurt, and never be afraid to tell someone that does not sound funky.

Ive lost multiple friends over this, but no regrets!

2 Likes

Is Funky the only way to sound?

3 Likes

Lets just say that either you’re funky or you’re not.

2 Likes

if you’re supposed to be playing something funky then yes. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Do a snare/clap on steps 2 and 4.
Hihat on offbeat.

3 Likes

My Father sent me something like this, not verbatim:

Question:
I want to be a musician when I become a grownup. Is that an insane thing in today’s world?

Answer:
Yes, it is an insane thing to want to be. Becoming a grownup is highly overrated. Just become a musician and you’ll be much happier.

20 Likes

Unless you end up a failed musician