What is the sound of the future?

Silence.

4’33

olka

6 Likes

Hyperfrequency music above and below the human audible range.

Regular listeners won’t actually be able to hear it but true experts will … equipment will be very very expensive. Beyond the reach of ordinary people.

2 Likes

For me, Autechre, since it takes me a few years to catch up with what they’re doing now…

Or any other artist that is making music I have yet to discover or comprehend.

A subjective future, if you will.

5 Likes

There is no and never was “the sound of the future” in my opinion. What was there is “the sound of an era” – the combination of sounds, modulations, effects and arrangements that became popular in the specific context for the period of time. Each part of the combination has plenty of variations which results in myriad possible combinations. It is almost certain that future music will include instruments or rhythms that are known to us already but combined in a novel way.

1 Like

Well this is partly right. Blues happens when you give new instruments to a foreign culture.
When you listen to Tinariwen, this is what happens when you give an electric guitar to musician from the Sahara.

Real big in Sheboygan.

5 Likes

You only create from what you know.
" nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed" . Lavoisier

Creativity is copy paste but differently from everybody else.

3 Likes

That’s actually sound of every village party in my country 15 years ago.

But they could have been before they time, so world - be prepared! :grin:

2 Likes

I’m good at coming up with weird stuff. Inspiration from past new wave bands helps plus I like to experiment.

1 Like

Public Enemy, Consolidated, Death Grips, that hip hop mid aliased noise industrial overlap is great to that end.

Perhaps not as total avant-garde as you may be nudging towards, but there’s a good number of artists working in beats and noise.

Are there hip hop artists inspired by Skinny Puppy?

1 Like

Better of asking an AI chatbot….

Dälek?

2 Likes

I was doing a yes-and, but it sounds like you’re doing a no-but. Since arguing about slavery on a music forum seems like a recipe for toxicity I’m just gonna stop here.

Just a misunderstanding sorry about this. Let’s stop it here yes.

1 Like

Yeah, there is some connection there.

I think the real sound innovation in that genre was chasing the ill sound. Different cause in the way I was thinking about it, but often similar results.

1 Like

All good.

…totally forgot about consolidated…

but also just another sonic flavour, i once considered to be the sound of the future…

crossing all over and stay angry for too many good reasons seems to be one of those constant things when it comes to any kind of tomorrow…to never loose contact to ur once young mindset…

The future will start in 2070 when you will have the right to sample 1970 records in public domain.
There will be tons of 90’ tracks come back… Not so futuristic.

1 Like