What is the sound of the future?

:thinking:

Iā€™m 99.9999999% sure the NK one is fake, but if I was Kim Jong Un, I would absolutely force the military orchestra to play my favorite tunes from Swiss Boarding School.

2 Likes

Hahah, double-like back! That song IS a magic spellā€¦itā€™s like a warm safe memory conjure incantation. Afternoon sun and the edges of suburban development - the only space for adolescent autonomy.

Nice rich concept thereā€¦the internet ā€œwashing things away.ā€

1 Like

100 or so years from now AI will have all human music scrubbed from the public sphere yet retain it in their private archive to re-release as the newest AI cultural achievement.

1 Like

Another one for me, randomly, is black metallic by the catherine wheel. I donā€™t know why, but someone super cool put me on to it once a long time ago and I guess it is now forever associated with her coolness.

Also Rush by Big Audio Dynamite and maybe information society ā€œThinkā€ put me in some kind weird euphoric/nostalgaic music trance.

1 Like

I still havenā€™t figured out where the satire ends and the performance begins with Laibach.

Itā€™s somewhat fascinating how well the internet prunes the ephemeral, so much information I specifically recall from the old internet now no longer hosted.

2 Likes

Surprised it hasnā€™t been mentioned here, but 3D audio/spatial audio is going to become more prevalent in my opinion.

However, it looks like most of it will be accomplished by AI or other tools & automations that streamline the mixing process.

the end of the dominance of 12ed2 tuning (12-equal temperament); more widespread awareness of the possibilities of the frequency/pitch continuumā€“xenharmonics/microtonality, extended just intonation, adaptive tuning, pitch/rhythm liminality, etc.

(an aspect of the sound[s] of the future)

Search used to be better, so itā€™s hard to tell sometimes. I just checked one of the first sites I ever visited and the content is still there. Thankfully they put up a web portal because it used to be an FTP siteā€¦ and Firefox no longer has an integrated FTP client.

But some stuff doesnā€™t translate to the future very well, it is more-medium dependent than text, or files with text. Take flash, which has recently been effectively eradicated. Not everyone updates their stuff, and eventually it is either collected by a preservation effort (like archive.org) or lost to time. I am betting Discord will blackhole much of the current eraā€™s community knowledge some day. Much of that is just text, but itā€™s bound up in posts on servers that require accounts and invites, and that is just the kind of media complexity that fosters dependence. Which I am sure is no accident.

Getting back to ephemeral content, there is also the ephemeral medium. Like certain internet fora. Some content perpetuates forever because it is forever reposted, but much of it expires quickly. I think even this is healthier than the Discord model, since you know itā€™s going away unless regenerated, and a sudden bankruptcy isnā€™t going to create an abrupt void in available knowledge.

Then you get weird hybrids, like GitHub, being the default choice for public source code hosting, and having a policy of expiring untended repos. Combine that with MSā€™s adoption of Twitterā€™s ā€œwe suspended your account as pretext to collect your phone numberā€ tactic and this is already killing off public repositories.

2 Likes