What is the sound of the future?

that new danny brown/jpeg album is really good/inspiring

I canā€™t speak for everyone else, but things are shifting here in the UK.

Grime and Drill have been stuck carrying the torch for angry youth for a long time and, as much as itā€™s been fun watching the UK establishment blame it for everything from gang violence to inner city poverty, the anger is spreading out.

In much the same way that Autechre were kinda the grandparents of all that hyperpop shit, thereā€™s an emerging set of artists for whom Whitehouse might be their grandparents, and people are loving it.

Take Benefits as an example, aggressively shouted poetry over harsh noise. I mean, itā€™s right up my street, but Iā€™d never expect such a thing to be garnering five star reviews in the NME. The anger is back, and this time itā€™s been listening to Merzbowā€¦

Itā€™s hard to say that it had something to do with that Whitehouse video going viral on tiktok a few years ago, but itā€™s noticeable that it was a relatively large (like 3 million views out of nowhere) and sudden exposure to power electronics that reached way beyond anywhere that such things have managed to penetrate up to that point.

Now obviously the influence is much clearer in a lot of US hip-hop (like Death Grips, Clipping etc.) but people over here seem much more receptive to more extreme musical experiences than previously. Now this is obviously my own very subjective and anecdotal experience, but the last few open mics Iā€™ve done Iā€™ve gone pretty hard with the noise (mostly at nights involving decent but somewhat standard techno/acid/ambient sort of stuff) and my expectation was that Iā€™d probably be met with a collective need for a fag break and a few indifferent slow claps at the end. That hasnā€™t been my experience at all, people have been loving it, the response has been far more positive than any of the more ā€œnormalā€ stuff Iā€™ve been doing previously. Maybe itā€™s just the novelty factor, time will tell, but music is definitely getting political again, and thatā€™s usually a sign that a shift is coming, and that shift seems to be making a racket.

9 Likes

As humans start to live through different alternative realities, I think future is yesterday, and that there is no future anymore.
Only parallel versions of an elastic time, future for someone, past for someone else.

Time will find back its linearity when internet will burn, and human will start to learn again how to live in reality :smiley:

3 Likes

Fuck me!
Iā€™m already living in the future!

TBH Iā€™m playing Chopin on a Prophet~6

In the distant future Iā€™m pretty sure AI will resurrect Sade and make her into a godhead.

3 Likes

Hmm, Smooth Operator does sound like the name of an algorithm for improving AI generated content.

That sounds great.

Lots of good answers here. I think stuff like Osmose will be big. More ā€œacousticā€ sounding electronic instruments. Also, more/easier forms of collaboration. And more AI help to make interesting harmony/timbres/everything.

1 Like

I can only speak for American society, but Iā€™d say this goal would require more public spaces for the public good.

Online spaces have seemingly made it harder for me to meet ā€œmy peopleā€ in person for such exchanges.

Iā€™m for the idea(s), of course!

3 Likes

I always thought she was singing about her love for FM synthesis.

7 Likes

ā€œLogistic Map Bifurcation Diagramā€ sounds like the debut EP title from whomever The Sound of the Future is.

2 Likes

Love this.

To add on, I guess even lyricless music that is angry and disaffected becomes political when the people making it are coopted by politicians who can so easily swap expression/symptom with cause of any problems.

Influential culture that welcomes marginalized people is the easiest bait to rile up the elderly with hate in their hearts and open wallets to anyone who amasses power on claims that they can halt the progress of time and suppress grown adults as if they were ā€œunruly childrenā€.

2 Likes

1 Like

Come to think of it, since thatā€™s a famous diagram in chaos theory I would be very surprised if no one has put it on an album cover.

There is also a neat 3D version:

2 Likes

The ā€œmusic of the futureā€ will not be about a novel sound, but about whichever concept resonates with the mood or zeitgeist of the largest number of people [ā€¦in the 1st world or anywhere that is concerned with such questions]

Mood predictions:
Technopessimism
Technoskepticism
Technosuspicion
Technoburnout
Pre-internet nostalgia
A longing for the time before we were made aware of every form of suffering in every last corner of the world.

3 Likes

3 Likes

the beginning of the end.

1 Like

Exactly.

the promise and the potential was so great - and now here we are getting obese watching reactions to reactions to reactions with just enough autonomy left in our thumb to reach for the Close Tab button, only to be overcome and click the ā€œadd to cartā€ button.

Nothingā€™s better than a Saturday afternoon where you forget what time it is, sit on a sun-warmed, dry-grass-overtaken curb on a side street, listening to the intro to Mayonaise by the Smashing Pumpkins remembering when the biggest challenge in life was finding a topic for your 1-page English assignment due Monday and if that girl you had a crush on was falling for your best friend insteadā€¦

1 Like

fuuuuuuckkkk. thatā€™s like the second best song of all time. I remember learning to play it on the guitar and thinking thereā€™s no way I just learned this magic spell.

I stood inside of a shower stall with an acoustic guitar tuned to whatever open g or whatever funky tuning that song is actually in, literally in a concrete and tile glass door shower stall with the guitar at a super weird angle cocked upwards, with a cheap tape recorder so I could get the right amount of reverb and try to record that feeling, that magic. the internet had all but washed that memory away.

double like! thanks!

I just verified, the tuning was " EbminMaj7 open tuning ." on mayonaise

1 Like

Luckily for us in the UK, almost all our politicians were born in the 1700s, so itā€™s rare they get close enough to anything past Bach to make much of an impact.

1 Like