What makes a machine sound organic?

You don’t happen to be pen pals with Armin Meiwes?

I miss those card nights, now it’s almost only Texas Holdem.

1 Like

A biological (organic) being playing an instrument is not a machine (aside from few exceptions perhaps, a bad joke…) so I don’t know how you would classify that as being mechanic.

It’s impossible to pluck a string the exact same way twice in your life no matter how much you try.

Bold statement. If the elements are there to pluck it a certain way the first time, and those elements are available for a second time, wouldn’t there have to be a chance that it could happen again?

Even if the chances are imperceptibly small, isn’t there still a chance?

Considering the minuscule temperature changes of the room, the string and the finger, the fact that the tuning of a string is in constant flux, the surface of your finger being microscopically different every time you pluck it just to point out the most obvious altering factors.

Yeah, I’d say it’s impossible but would admit that being able to notice or even measure the difference would be nearly if not completely impossible as well in many cases.

I’d say it’s nearly impossible. But you do make good points!

I’d like to hear more about where you get the “nearly”.

You lost me there.

What do you mean? The joke was that some ppl have mastered the art of sounding like a machine, if that’s what you meant.

I meant I didn’t understand that sentence let alone the joke, but that’s probably just me being contrived.

i was just thinking about how much i love the digital elektron filters of the octa and digitakt. they make everything sound so physical & tactile

Motorik only sounds organic if it is performed by a drum machine. It’s one of those weird exceptions.

I mean that if a human being is doing something with their hand, which is not a mechanical thing, but an living organic part of a living organism, how would you describe the act of strumming a chord on a guitar “mechanic”?

IMO it emerges organically.

Maybe I’m missing something here.

From the same place you don’t get the nearly.

Care to elaborate?

As much as you wish me to.

1 Like

I guess bio-mechanical is far more accurate.

Good. If I stated that there are many variables that have infinite different combinations, I just don’t see how you could make everything happen physically the exact same way when plucking a string.

Just by mirroring/inverting that statement doesn’t really prove anything. I’d like to hear what is your reasoning.

What is the mechanical component in that equation?