What makes a machine sound organic?

1 Like

Thank you! This shows my ignorance on this subject.

The term “biomechanics” brings to my mind some kind of cyborgs and shit.

1 Like

I have heard your opinion that you think all those variables could never happen again. You of course would have to prove to me that they couldn’t, when theoretically they could.

I have stated my opinion that there is a possibility that all of those factors could align to recreate the same pluck, no matter how small those chances may be. It is a possibility.

I have no way of proving my opinion on the matter, just as you have no way of proving your opinion.

So as I originally stated, based off of my opinion on the subject, I find your stated opinion on the subject to be a bold statement.

I like bold statements, it’s show’s you have great character and are not be a fence-sitter. You are willing to share your opinion openly and freely and I thank you for that.

But simply telling me that’s how things are, with no proof, is hardly compelling. Definitely not true, just like my opinion.

Anything else you wish to know about my opinion or anything else you wish to share about your opinion?

If not then I wish you a safe and happy new year.

1 Like

I base my statement on the idea that in analog systems the resolution is by definition infinite.

Therefore if there is infinite resolution and the motion is caused by a living thing with countless variable and ever changing factors, it by definition is infinitely impossible to ever happen the same exact way again.

Maybe I’m berry berry wong here, it wouldn’t be the first time but to my knowledge this logic holds true and is an accurate representation of the way things happen in the physical world.

I’m not a highly educated person which of course makes me prone to make bolds statements and my understanding of physics is very primitive.

By no means am I saying that I think I’m right about this and in order to get more knowledge and deeper understanding I’d like to hear what I might be missing here.

1 Like

If you have glasses or a broken arm fixed with screws, by definition you are a cyborg

1 Like

No glasses but my left wrist is rebuilt with titanium.
Damn, I’m a cyborg. That’s pretty cool lol.

What’s not cool is that my terminology-game is shit.
I better improve it in order to embarrass myself less in the future. :slight_smile:

i’m not sure. I find the sync sound on my Odyssey sounds woody - not really like an acoustic drum though - and nothing like the typical tearing sync sound i know from Moog et.al

The power of Buad compels you.

1 Like

You too my friend!!

A soul

That wonders

It’s a useful idea, to show the contrast with digital systems, but whether the resolution is actually infinite depends on whether the structure of the universe is actually continuous (infinitely divisible) or discrete.

That’s probably an unanswerable philosophical question, but it seems to me that our scientific understanding has leaned towards the “discrete” view since at least the development of modern chemistry.

1 Like

Also what good is infinite resolution on the source if the receiver (ear, eye, microphone, tape, hard drive) has finite resolution?

It’s more rad.

To me in an analog synth its not just the nature of it to be organic sounding, the subtle nuance of a free running VCO does help though. I wouldn’t say a drifty sound is organic at all actually, more nostalgic if anything. Non-infinite feedback and build up of sound is really the route of organic sound, TB303 is probably the easiest example of build up with how the accent builds up and acts differently and built up with rapid accents.

Imagine whacking a large metal rod at a consistent rate and hitting it again before it has the chance to stop vibrating, your first hit will have a slightly different tone than the second or third but eventually you will reach a equilibrium with the rate you are hitting it. Now try hitting it at varying rates you may never reach an equilibrium but there will be a physical logic to how it reacts. I feel like this sort of non-infinite build up logic is at the core of organic sounds.

EMS synthi or the modern Syntrx are a great example of organic analog sound to me. You have so many ways to build feedback that reaches and equilibrium rather than going infinite, the filter resonance (in the syntrx at least) has an inverse relationship to how loud the sound going in or how saturated the filter becomes meaning if modulation volume you can find these equilibriums between the resonance and the sounds going in, the spring reverb is in the physical realm and has to obey these sorts of rules although sounds much less organic if you push its feedback into infinity.

Roland system 100 and that era of roland I find captures a lot of the organic sounds also to my ears.

3 Likes

Definitely organic

4 Likes

It was about bloody time!! :rofl:

I’m gonna need the full octave…

I wonder how much of this dilemma is strictly about the problem of trying to measure the analog by digital means, as digital is always by definition dealing in binary terms.

This is getting very philosophical and possibly very wrong but considering quantum particles are basically binary, with two possible basis states it might not be incorrect to think that the physical world is binary at it’s core.