What’s next for Ess / Fors?

It’s developed on Live 11 and tested mostly on it, so that’s mostly why it’s the recommended version. UI might be more sluggish on 10 since they improved some aspects of Max pertaining to that in Live 11.

Also, it requires a newer version of Max which you’ll need to download if you’re running Live 10. There will be a notification about this once Opal is launched if the version is too old.

3 Likes

Thank you

@Ess Okay, I understand! I can send you a crash report next time it happens. But, I will test to update max and see if it helps.

Besides that, your devices are really special and amazing and they are a blast to work with on the Push. So thanks for putting out great stuff and God Jul!

Thank you! Really appreciate that.
Also yes, the crash reports are helpful, we’d like to make sure if it’s something we can solve or not.

As for the saving/loading issue, I had a peek this morning (from our hotel room in Gothenburg, that’s a new one for me!) and I think I found a fix. I have sent out a version to test for those of you who emailed me, so make sure to contact us if you are having this problem. I’ll try to get the update out asap once I know it has been fixed.

Now, off to mom’s for Christmas celebrations. :slight_smile:

God jul and happy holidays!

16 Likes

I just wanted to chime in and say thank you for Opal! I am loving it so far and getting a lot of mileage out of the devices on their own, as well. I’m finding them all to be so versatile. Keep it up @ess!

2 Likes

Oke i decided not to use Opal in my productions for now because I have got the saving loading issue as well. Every time I open the project all my parameter tweaks are gone. I will email you Ess, but for now Happy Holidays first!

Great update, thanks @Ess. Awesome that you were able to add multiple outputs so quickly!

I was wondering if you think we might ever be able to automate parameters of Opal itself or is there some technical limitation as to why this can’t be done? e.g. I’ve got a loop going which sounds great if I modify the “tone” parameter on the track over time, but I can’t automate this so can’t really make a track out of it (unless I perform live and record the audio)

2 Likes

Excited to fire up the update! I was thinking about Opal over Christmas when I was in parent prison and not able to tinker.

1 Like

so dope. great update.

1 Like

@Ess

are there any plans to make this application with a separate control in the style of trackers, from the keyboard? as an example of switching between windows f1 f2 f3 etc. or remember the experience of the nord drum app? :slight_smile:

Thnx for your work

Anyone know how to load a preset for one of the Opal machines, for example, Gem? I see the folders of presets, but i can’t seem to load them.

i haven’t tried… i assume it’s like any other live preset where you just drag and drop it or double click on it in the library menu

It’s not.

I have just dragged one of the presets from Gem onto a midi track successfully, I don’t think you can drag a preset from one of the instruments into Opal itself though, in fact I can’t see any presets marked for Opal

1 Like

Thank you!!

Probably not, it interferes conceptually and practically with the sequencer engine and its control over the parameters. If I find a safe and reliable way to have both I’ll of course make that available but as it is right now it’s simply a limitation of the format.

Probably not, the custom UI objects in Max do not have any keyboard input – and making that work is a little too hacky/unreliable in my experience.

The 1.1 update adds the functionality to save and reload individual track sounds from Opal. It’s different than the .adv format because of how Opal uses its own custom system for presets and pattern data, etc.

From the manual:

6 Likes

I guess one or the other would have to “win”… to my mind the p-locks overriding the automation would make sense, but I expect there are more challenges to it than just deciding which one wins!

On a slight tangent, one thing I always thought would be cool in the Elektron sequencer is “relative” p-locks which offset the parameter by the specified amount from its current value, rather than absolute locks. This would probably fit a bit more naturally with automation…

Yeah exactly – no, it’s not that simple when you have to consider the internal storage of parameters as well :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy: … not to mention the overall complexity of this stuff

Actually I was strongly considering using relative locks, I think that could be really cool… But at the end of the day I really wanted the expected Elektron workflow in Live, so I ended up going for the tried and true version.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update! Nudge is great :raised_hands:

Regarding the multiple outs, if you assign an output, it doesn’t ‘auto-subtract’ from the main outs correct? So you have to sort of go ‘all-in’ and assign them all vs just using the master correct?

Finally got this and I can only echo everyone else’s comments. It’s super deep, sounds amazing and it’s so much fun to have this workflow in Ableton. Thank you @Ess

Anyone else having issues loading the stock presets within the Opal instrument? I have tried dragging and dropping into the mixer and track area as described in the manual but no luck. Oddly enough presets that I have saved load successfully using the same method. All presets show as .adv files.

1 Like