What’s next for Ess / Fors?

The .adv files are not compatible with the Opal device, they are only for the standalone instruments. This is because Opal has its own custom preset system which interfaces with the data structure of the sequencer etc.

The sounds you save from the tracks are in its own JSON format, so it differs somewhat from the usual Ableton presets. Ideally we should have shipped 1.1 with some additional presets, but I wanted to get it out quickly for the important fixes.

In any case we’ll eventually release some new packs to use with Opal, sorry for the confusion.

7 Likes

No, I don’t think you can do that. I could however add an option that the mutes won’t affect the individual outputs. Or some setup page for mixing with master/individual outs - that’s probably the best option.

4 Likes

Hi Ess, are there any plans to utilize the pads of Push to set and manipulate steps?

Probably not, the UI stuff in Max is just not supported that extensively… There are some hacks you can do, but the question there is if it’s suitable for end users and/or of it can be done in a fashion that I’m happy with - i.e feeling like an extension of the instrument and not like an awkward in-between.

Unfortunately the tooling for Push 2 in Max for Live is really limited, so that’s why these things aren’t there, even though it may look like an obvious feature. Naturally it’s a case of “would have if I could have” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for letting me know, I feel like with the API it‘s not hacky at all but obviously you know what you’re doing and i totally get the feel/extension thing, it’s a great Instrument nonetheless!

Picked Opal up yesterday and have been really loving it - was wondering, is there a way to preview trigs similar to trig+yes on an Elektron box? Didn’t see anything about this in the manual. If not, are there any plans to add this? Would make punching things in a bit faster instead of having to wait for the pattern to roll back around to hear my changes, especially for melodic stuff. It would also be cool to be able to swap engines out, for instance having four different instances of one engine or something. Besides that, truly amazing device and a steal at the price point.

5 Likes

No, but I had a quick look and cobbled it together – seems easy to add. The way I did it just now was to make cmd+shift (ctrl+shift on win) trigger a step manually. Seems to work pretty well.

15 Likes

@Ess Ah, that makes sense. I appreciate the clarification! And thanks for such a great instrument!

1 Like

I see the instructions in the manual for saving presets, but the process for loading presets is still unclear to me. For example, there is a folder with presets for each machine that come with the download (see image below). How do you load these? I’ve tried dragging on what I believe to be the track selector area, but no luck. i’m probably doing something wrong.

edit: Nevermind, I see this has already been answered. Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you @ess for making Opal! The engines sound incredible and the parameters allow for creating so many different sounds very easily.

If I may make some small feature requests: I think volume boost/cut per pattern could be useful, as I find that the volume between patterns can vary a fair amount sometimes even with similar values on the mixer, especially if different instruments are handling each drum sound. On top of that, a master saturation (or compression) would be awesome… I really like e.g. the sigmoid-based ones you’ve used before :smiley:

1 Like

in the same boat:
thank you @Ess for making Opal.
it brought me back to start Live.
i like the test beats i made.

my feature request if anything possible:
that we could chose the “machine” per track.
I´d really like to load 2-3x the same machine (into one instance of opal) and create beats this way. NOT same if i had to load up several Opal instances on different tracks

2 Likes

@lostinthemanual Thank you!

Yeah, that would be super cool – but it’s unfortunately not feasible in this format.

I try to avoid adding things directly in the UI that aren’t strictly necessary, and in this case I think already being able to mix each pattern should be sufficient. Unless I see a very unobtrusive way to add it in the UI I’ll probably not. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Regarding saturation, similarly here my rationale for not having master effects in that sense is that it’s so easy to add that with other devices or plug-ins and I think a lot of people already have their favorite distortions etc.

6 Likes

I’d like to echo the common view that Opal is fantastic, got it a few days ago and have been having a great time with it. I tend to use if more melodically with it’s own sequencer but for more straight-forward drum stuff, I tend to use the individual M4L devices - they work really well when grouped and using M4L midi LFOs or the Expression Control device for modulating parameters over time.

I then realised having watched the Glanta ‘show and tell’ that I was missing out such a deceptively deep but really simple to use synth so it’s all the Fors all the time for me! Speaking of ‘show and tell’… it would be wonderful if one was planned for Opal, I’m sure there is loads I’ve not got my head around yet!

1 Like

Thank you! Yeah it’s really nice to have different options to play everything, glad that it’s appreciated.

I will be doing a show and tell this Sunday, we’ll post the exact time soon on our Instagram and probably newsletter.

20 Likes

I’ve been messing around with Opal for that last hour. I’m getting crazy Plaid vibes.

This thing is great!

1 Like

+1 for VST. Would love to get all the Fors instruments for bitwig :blue_heart:

5 Likes

I’ll toss in another +1 for vst. I’ve been using Bitwig a lot lately and FORS are one of the biggest things I miss when I’m not using Live.

2 Likes

+1 for iOS (will as @Ess says never happen). :sleepy:
Would LOVE to get all the Fors instruments for drambo!

1 Like

…while i will never return to ableton and max for live due to the very last daw love of my life, bitwig, i just talked to an old friend and collegue of mine, who is actually in absolute shocklove with opal…

and he’s seen it all and knows what he’s talking about…total ableton meets cycling74 pro since ages and opal just blew his head and ears off…

truu elektron vibes and beyoooooond…just without the klak.

so whatever u did there, ess, u obviously rocked IT ALL with ur latest creation…congrats… :vulcan_salute:

and whoever wants a glimpse…he’s having realtime fun with “it” right now…

30 Likes

…puh…ess, my dear…sweden better let u do THIS in hw, too…

unbelieveable homogenic otherworldly realtime sonic evolution…
sounds like all kinds of synthesis meet and mingle at once to bounce off each other…

and treat sold at least two more copies of opal tonight…what a jam…

5 Likes