What’s your DAW approach? Stick to one or mix and match?

Anyone happily using more than one DAW?

Has anyone tried it and failed, and gone back to using just one?

Curious to hear people’s thoughts, particularly from people who use more than one DAW and feel like it helps productivity…

Asking because I’ve been using Ableton for 2 years after switching from Logic… and Logic coming out for iPad is tempting now, which would make sense to use my desktop version again.

My ‘productivity instinct’ says stick to Ableton and hope for an iOS Live down the line… :sunglasses:

For the last 4-5 years I’ve been doing most things in Ableton but still have Reaper, Studio One and FLStudio installed for somethings plus Cakewalk by Bandlab installed on my laptop incase I want to open an old project.

I bounce around daws on iOS but on Mac I’ve always been ableton. Tried few others but keep coming back to ableton straight away

I’ve used Logic the longest, but have been spending a lot of time in Ableton recently. I feel like they work well together for my workflow. For more linear music and recording acoustic instruments, I prefer Logic for the tracking aspects of thing. If I’m shooting for more creative sessions, Ableton is a lot of fun and ideas always pop up. At the end of things, Logic is a more natural place for me to mix as I come from a mixing desk back ground and I like to setup a lot of bussing which I find easy to accomplish in Logic.

There’s probably a lot of functionality in Ableton I don’t grasp simply because it’s far more new to me.

I have Bitwig, but find Ableton a little easier for me for some reason. I also just love the endless mountains of content.

1 Like

I’ve been using Cubase for over 20 years and never felt the need to try anything else

3 Likes

I was a heavy live user in 2014 (after using things like digital performer and other, more ancient tools in the 90’s and 2000s). I switched to Logic in ~2021 and have used Live a few times since but both have their quirks; trying to use both is more fuss than I think is worth it.

I do wish I could more easily load the included and paid-for AUs from each into the other, but oh well. Not like there is a shortage of plugins in the world.

me.
making tracks with Drambo, sometimes using Bitwig as VST host (on desktop).
mixing/mastering with Harrison Mixbus 32C.

Moved from FL to Ableton years ago and that works fine for me, I mess around with Renoise occasionally though. Logic’s stock plugins are amazing, but the workflow never gelled with me.

I made the switch from logic to ableton about 10 years ago and only use that ever since.
I put so much time into learning it, I don’t see any need to learn another one

I’m still in transition phase from Reaper to Ableton. There are things that I can just do a lot quicker in Reaper (like multitrack recording), but that might be down to my templates and muscle memory more than anything else.

2 Likes

After ages with Samplitude, I switched to Reaper and it’s amazing.

2 Likes

I don’t have the mental capacity to switch from one to another repeatedly. I went from Reason to Live (I refuse to call it Ableton because that’s like calling Cubase Steinberg) to Bitwig and I’ve haven’t looked back in 3-4 years.

Edit: though I guess Bitwig is a similar case. So, let me confirm that I use Bitwig Studio!

1 Like

After 10 years or so I’m still learning about Ableton Live. Mixing and matching or switching altogether would be entirely reductive at this point. :slight_smile:

…daws are the most complex sonic tools to handle with…end of the day, that’s always ur main studio tool…
and by now, all the most “famous” ones, can do all the same…each more or less in their own way of workflow…but they all can lead u to the same final results…no matter if u generated it all within them, using them like one multi instrument or used it as a tapemachine and recorded heaps of external signals…

if u engineer for money, ur still better firm with pro tools…in any other case, ur good to go with whatever suits u best…
either way, ur always only as good as ur experienced AND most of all how good u know ur tools inside out…
once u really know how to use the shortcuts and stuff in ur daw, u start to fly with any of them…

i don’t see any real reason why to mix up any daws, if ur producing music just on ur very own demand…

last big difference between various daw concepts are their age of basic concept…
logic, pro tools, cubase, fruity loops all started already in the last century…and it clearly shows, these days…they all still stick to the classic oldschool workflow…pro tools, logic and cubase are still the real pro choice here…while fl is nothing but a thousand workflows in one big mess…
but even that one gets u over the finishline, if u really know ur way around…

but we also got two gamechanging daw concepts from this century…both from berlin…and that’s actual planet nr. 1 daw…ableton live…and superslick bitwig…same same but just a little smarter in the details, since it’s way younger/fresher…not even a decade old by now, but born with all ableton backend know how right from it’s start…

meanwhile, logic on ipad is tempting…but only, if they get it managed, that a project folder can be airdropped back and forth from ipad to desk/laptop…if not, it’s as much liberating at first, as it is a trap, end of the day…

i’ve used pretty much all the big, usual suspects, when it comes to daws…lot’s of protools, lot’s of logic, lot’s of ableton…but never used them in any realtime crossreference…in rewire days i used logic with reason attached…but those days are also long gone and over…

and by now, i’m getting too old and too tired of all this…i made one last choice, three years ago, and found my very final daw…bitwig…

ios and the ipad came a long way…but it’s still not really a truu substitute for truu first but also final studio/audio treatment…and the last ipad i still got in use, sometimes, rarely, just for some sampling snippets, is a decade old and filled with all those first fancy touch touch sound apps…

but sure, if ur on apple, logic is the solid choice…it tried so hard in the last years, to finally be able to offer “same” options as ableton and bitwig do…but at the moment, i transfer all my old/last remaining/unfinished projects from logic to bitwig and once done, i will never look back… really looking forward to be finally able to end my mac only days…

I like to mix it up between, Reaper, Cubasis 3, Koala (Is that a DAW? I mean I feel like it’s capable enough) and MPC Beats. Things always get finished in Reaper though.

I’ve been using Live since 2006, and every time I think I’m going to go to something else, they make something easier. I’ve tried Logic on a few projects, but I’ve only finished stuff in Live.

I’ve used Studio One, Pro Tools, Cubase, Reason, Bitwig, Fruity Loops, and Ableton, sometimes two at a time, buy mostly solo. These days, for how I work nothing touches Ableton. I’m not skilled enough to worry about proper mastering, and although BW offers a lot of uniquely cool stuff, my brain just feels the greatest at ease with Ableton.

1 Like

been FL user for long time, then switched to cubase for long time, now in live for long time, kinda want to try reaper or logic because I like some stuff in reaper/logic better then live, but not really sure it’s worth it really…

it’s easier to use one because you get used to the shortcuts and you are by far more productive with one, switching to another one requires some dedication until you learn your way around.
it’s good to try others just to see what’s up, but not really necessary.

Bitwig and Renoise here, work both with windows & linux

I’ve been using Cubase as primary DAW for years.
Recently I’ve bought Bitwig because of the Grid, and as clip/scene oriented sketchpad. Tried to use Ableton for this purpose many times, but for some unknown reason it just doesn’t work for me.

There is interesting thing Blue Cat Connector which lets you stream midi and audio between DAWs. I’m trying to incorporate this to my Cubase-Bitwig workflow to use Bitwig Grid as a VST in Cubase.