What were the "counter culture" films of your youth?

Also add Elf to my list

1 Like

we had a dollar theatre too. it was epic.

3 Likes

Sticky floors and all!

3 Likes

oh man how were they so sticky?

1 Like

Don’t want to know

2 Likes

In the 1930s, coca-cola was made with cocaine. By the ‘90s they had switched to epoxy as the main flavor ingredient.

(in the '70s and '80s, they used lead as a sweetener, today they use good old methyl ethyl ketone)

2 Likes

Don’t forget about Repo Man and Combat Shock

9 Likes

Dead End Drive In

1 Like

Not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but for me it was:

Kids
Clerks
But I’m A Cheerleader
Trainspotting
Go!
Fight Club

I guess maybe to an extent The Matrix but that’s so far from reality (or is it?!?) that it’s hard to say. I guess it kind of felt like it, being a “black trench coat” type around that time…

5 Likes

Pi. Just watched it again today with my son who’s now the same age I was then. Loved the soundtrack!

3 Likes

That was a trip, same dude went on to do A Scanner Darkly, which… I mean you cast Reeves, Ryder, Downey Jr, Harrelson and then just like… yeah but we’re gonna rotoscope the whole thing so it gets slept on. I guess most of those names are bigger now than then, but still, bold move.

3 Likes

Only the 80s could produce such a work of art like that.

6 Likes

A bunch already mentioned but Tetsuo the Iron Man

Caddyshack.

1 Like

cornpops are made of MEK and powdered florescent bulb dust.

3 Likes

some pretty unnerving drum n bass tracks in pi.

6 Likes

I immediately thought of Repo Man, but that’s been mentioned already.

3 more that popped in my head; Blue Velvet, Drugstore Cowboy, Barfly.

5 Likes

Yeah it gets tense in parts.

Im only here to state that Alex Cox’s Repoman is my favorite film ever made

3 Likes

Did you ever at times feel like Pi has borrowed a few elements from Terry Gilliam’s Brazil? I know they’re completely different films and therefore it’s a difficult comparison to make without really being exposed to both, but I always kind of felt there was some similar twisting of the plots.

2 Likes