What were the "counter culture" films of your youth?

A few off the top of my head:

If…
Suburbia
Surf Nazis Must Die
Out of the Blue
Liquid Sky
Red Dawn
Sid & Nancy
In The Realm of the Senses
Duck Soup

4 Likes

I’m sure I’ll remember more, but right off the top of my head is Kids.
Remembered SLC Punk, and was going to say that, but then I remembered how it felt like a movie equivalent to a corporate plant, which I guess technically it was.

Maybe I don’t really understand wtf a counter culture film is, but I also enjoyed watching
Fear and Loathing
Dazed and Confused
Rocky Horror
Easy Rider
200 Motels
Dr. Strangelove
Midnight Cowboy
Clockwork Orange
Shaft
Tommy
Dog Day Afternoon
Dear Hunter
Up In Smoke
Apocalypse Now
Fucking The BIG LEBOWSKI
Fight Club
Trainspotting
Walking Life
Royal Tenenbaums
Requiem for a Dream

14 Likes

Oh yeah, Sid & Nancy. I have been meaning to rewatch that, especially now that I finally found it on streaming for free. I used to have a huge crush on Chloe Webb and I loved her in Tales from the City.

Some for me are City of Lost Children, Night of the Comet, Oleanna, Tous le matin du monde, Night of the Hunter, Near Dark, The Children’s Hour, Strange Days (which I watched recently and still holds up).

3 Likes

Also, Out of the Blue looks superb! Right up my alley!

2 Likes

Easy Riders,
Midnight Cowboy,
The Last Tango in Paris,
The Rocky Horror Picture Show,

2 Likes

A few that spring to mind:

Dead Ringers
Naked Lunch
Delicatessen
Jacob’s Ladder

6 Likes

Ooh, good choices. Have you watched the Rachel Weisz’ Dead Ringers?

No I read about it a bit and it sounds like an awesome interpretation. I love her in pretty much everything I have seen her in, so have high hopes.

It did not disappoint.

1 Like

Does Life of Brian count? It was banned in South Africa and we watched a very grainy nth-generation copy :slight_smile: . I also saw Rocky Horror, which was banned after a couple of weeks in theatres.

5 Likes

Clerks
Dazed and Confused
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

7 Likes

Darren Aronofsky’s Pi

7 Likes

Friday

7 Likes

I change my answer to Friday.

2 Likes

Because it’s Friday?

2 Likes

Because we top flite security of the world craig.

OF THE WORLD.

1 Like

Every time I’m in the kitchen, you in the kitchen!

1 Like

In the GOT DAMN refrigerator

2 Likes

A double of bill of the Big Lebowski and The Lost Highway at the cinema for a fiver was a good day for 17 year old me.

5 Likes

Ah yes, when movies were more affordable. I remember when I was younger me and my friends saying “Let’s go to the dollar show”, which were the discounted movies that had been out for a while and moved to the smaller theater. A dollar. To see a movie on the big screen. Crazy.

4 Likes