What would be the next level for Elektron sequencer?

I‘d like to see the following functionality added:

1. Increased pattern length. My preferred solution would be two rows of 16 buttons with the first row representing pages/bars and the second row representing steps within those pages/bars. Would make it easy to edit, switch between bars and see where the play head currently is.

2. Independent clips per tracks and pattern, similar to clip-view in Ableton Live and the Squarp Hapax (meaning that I can switch track one to the next clip while the clips on the other tracks stay the same). Having two rows of 16 buttons would obviously help facilitate a nice workflow here.

3. Nice chord mode with possibility to save chords in a buffer per clip to easily trigger them with the sequencer. Parameters should be root note, scale, chord type, inversion, and spread.

4. Ability for one track to affect another track. One use case would be to have one track transpose another track within that tracks chosen scale. Another would be to have one track set the notes and the other the triggers (e.g. have a 16 bar sequence of bass notes with a 7-note repeating pattern for the triggers).

5. Euclidean note generator.

6. Hardware changes to facility better interfacing with other devices, most importantly Ableton Link (over built-in Wifi, USB Wifi-Dongle or USB cable) and USB-host capability (to easily add a USB-Midi box such as the Blokas Midihub).

Can separate plocks be sliding though?
Say I wanna make filter slide while keeping reverb change discrete?

I’d love to see elektrons take on a grid sequencer. not saying they should, just curiously.

1 Like

Unless it’s a dedicated sequencer, please no. Maybe it’s due to the times, but I am tired of seeing grids. Definitely not in sacrifice to parameters pots.

yea maybe they suck I dunno. :joy:

tbh, a step sequencer with good scales mode & functionality is all I desire personally.

Depends on the machine.
Octatrack MIDI loopback will do the trick. Should also work on the Digitakt.
Microtiming trig offsets should offer a workaround on the other machines.
Syntakt has a separate Fx automation track.

1 Like

I mean A4 here and its Slide functionality. So basically I can put two trigs next to each other and microslide one of them as close as possible to the second one? Is that what you meant?

Squarp Hermod (Pyramid/Hapax I guess) MIDI FX and generators, specifically: random (velocity/pitch), scale (quantizer), arpeggiator (but the Elektron one that you could add or remove as an FX so if you want 3 LFOs instead of 2 LFOs+arp, you could set it up this way…), chance (adding to trig conditions so that we could have 1/2 with 27% chance), harmonizer (create chords) and Euclid FX. Arp (random) -> Harmonizer -> Scale -> Chance is fun!

Somebody mentioned Marbles jitter, yes, great idea! Grids generator FX would be nice too.

1 Like

I don’t care about song mode either, and I would MUCH rather have more live functionality like realtime transposing!!!

This seems really powerful!
What are the performance FXs?

Yes

1 Like

Personally don’t get the song mode hype. Never used it on any machine i have ever owned. Only thing i would like for especially Digitone is to be able to record and/or plock mod wheel and aftertouch. Some patches really come to life playing with a external keyboard. I would like to record live expressiveness.

2 Likes

Yeah the sequencing features found here are super impressive.

coming from logic and ableton I have ignored songmodes for years, but now I use it on OT, Polyend Tracker and maschine all the time.
While I collected countless patterns on DN and DT that never left the machines, I just finish songs now without the need of recording everything in one take. Which I didn’t like. Same for multitracking everything. I just can get the song right just on the devices now.
But I generally feel more comfortable at arranging than performing

3 Likes

Exactly that. People forget that not everyone is a performer. My not so neurotypical brain is very bad in “now you need to do everything perfectly”-situations. Beeing able to ignore songstructure and just do modulation is very very handy for that!

2 Likes

Agreed: I submitted a request for this a few months ago. I like the idea of being able to mix up sequencing approach. But yeah, can see potential to pick a pattern length, press a trig number to select number of events, and rotation would maybe need to be a menu item, not sure. But yes, would welcome some alternative sequencing options: a Turing Machine that can be locked in to repeat, pattern length decided, locked to a scale etc would be a lot of fun.

I know there are other devices and software that offer this sort of thing: I just think it would be cool for Elektron sequencing to evolve in-line with some of the best exciting, generative-leaning approaches that are increasingly popular. I also think this sort of thing is quite a good fit for them as a brand: inviting and encouraging experimentation is inherent and I think they’ve already evolved the step sequencer in hitherto unimagined ways, what’s next?

Recently also been chewing on the concept of a new conditional locking of say 6:8, or 2:3 but underlined i.e. event occurs every time the pattern repeats except on 6:8, 2:3 etc.

1 Like

They are midi FX that you can apply on each track individually, on all drums or all synths. Here’s a demo https://youtu.be/IJHIO8jeW6I

Trig conditions that omit repetitions. For example kick omitted on the 3rd out of 4 repeats.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the sort of thing you can do with step components on the op-z :wink:
I really wish to see something similar appear on Elektron devices.

1 Like

i would like saw next elektron sequencer provide one more cable, i can use this cable prick hole on the back of my head, when the power turned on, i hack into the matrix

1 Like