Whats going on with Youtube?

It was fine until about a month ago, most videos being recommended were either relevant to my history/interests or I could at least see what the algorithm was trying to do, but this shit is clearly just YouTube “promoting” it’s bigger content, and given that I’m paying to not have adverts, I’d appreciate not having this shit pushed on me.

If they want to play like this then I’ll have to fuck them off, nothing more annoying than these cockends gurgling at me every time I go on YouTube.

3 Likes

Look at this jebend.

1 Like

I used to love Youtube Vanced for android, now I’m on iPhone and I can’t find something similar.
Anyone knows a good youtube app for ios that kills ads?

youtubes very aggressive ad push has a single 10 minute video hit with no less than 8 or more ad rolls and sometimes if you dont skip it in time youll be on an ad loop. bless adblock

The title of this is also somewhat clickbaity. That said, the first few episodes explain a lot re: YT and how it works.

Re: those weird face/expression video images, I have heard Youtubers are recommended to do it. Even official media outlets aren’t immune. The only thing this is missing for the holy trinity is all caps like “Neville DESTROYS the England XI”

I’m sorry if the points I mention have been brought up already.

Some people have made some great arguments about the Youtube situation. Linus Tech Tips have made this video for instance:

To put it simply, too many people upload too many videos in unecessarily high definition and of huge lengths to servers, at a rate even Google’s money can’t deal with.

On the one hand, that’s great, tons of creators can make great stuff. Educational, entertaining, inspiring videos all over the place. But the move from 2 minutes memes in 240p, to 3h video essays about a background character in Zelda Majora’s Mask, all in 4k 60fps that most users can’t even watch on their display… all of that in about a decade… yaouch. At this rate, it’s not even a money problem, it becomes a massive energy generation and server maintenance problem.

At this point, it is not unrealistic to think that Google could even pull the plug on Youtube just because it’s a money sink, and not the kind that grants wishes.

I came to the realization that I value the platform so much for all the invaluable stuff it hosts. I used to upload 4k60 videos of static shots of my jams with Elektron boxes blinking, which was ridiculous. Now I try to upload 1080p 30fps (unless I think video quality reaaaaally matters, like an actual music video for instance) and I pay for Youtube Premium.

I’m not saying everyone should (or even could) make that jump, but on the creators’ side, we could be more responsible about how we treat those servers. As watchers, I think dealing with ads is the lesser evil if I have to choose between that and Youtube shutting down.

ps: I’m not trying to convince anyone of what is morally good or bad, simply sharing some context that is dear to me, and made me reconsider my “ads suck” position a few months back. I just think it’s one of the most valuable websites I visit, alongside Wikipedia, which is why they are the only two I pay for.

I hope it helps.

4 Likes

It seems like the UTube algo is degenerating. For a while it was flooding me with the clickbaity-cutey stuff that I have no history of interest in, plus algo friendly content that I may have clicked occasionally like SWU. But now it seems like its relying on recommendations for things I’ve already watched, like its unable to actually put in the effort to recommend something new.

3 Likes

I’m getting a lot more of this too

3 Likes

Is this a real person or an ai generated idea of what an engaging human should look like?

We really are reaching end times…

Edit. I’m sorry for making that face massive.

3 Likes

Pre-Christmas shill fest?

1 Like

https://www.fiverr.com/iamaustindavid/make-a-clickbait-face-for-you

1 Like

I dunno, I just think YouTube want everyone watching the same 12 gimps over and over so they don’t have to host everyone else’s shit.

Yip, I’ve also noticed it in the last couple of weeks.

1 Like

maybe there is a plugin to block everyone with more than X number of subscribers. If someone knows of one send it this way

1 Like

Also they are pushing Shorts more and more. To complete with TikTok obviously.

I just got the Duct Tape Art one! :man_facepalming:

Delete cookies
Try private browser mode
On Mac: use ka-block to remove YouTube ads

Me happy

:smiley:

As much as I hate it, I kind of get it. Gotta compete with TikTok and Instagram, and people viewing more shorts and fewer longer videos means less server space used. But dammit I’m on YouTube for video essays, reviews for things, and some mildly educational/ entertaining content. If I wanted one minute clips I’d just go to Instagram or TikTok.

1 Like

It really bugged me at first when the iOS app was updated so it took a few more taps to change the video quality from auto to something specific, although I get why.

But then on the other hand the recent update that lets you zoom in on videos (fun for gear vids) just encourages watching in higher resolution than is generally needed.

I just made an extension to filter out YouTube search results by view count. Works in chrome and edge. Please help me test it

3 Likes