What's the point of sidechain compression on the digitakt?

Trying to setup sidechain compression on the digitakt, so the kick triggers the compressor for that “ducking” effect.

But, the kick is also being compressed…

My understanding is that the compressor is being applied to the master. And the kick is part of the master.

What’s the point of this?

If you want the master compressed then why would you only want it triggered on the kick?

Alternatively, if you want a sidechain effect, why would you want the kick to be compressed too?

1 Like
2 Likes

As @DaveMech recently said, you can set your compressor with 100% wet, and bring back the kick with dry (and set kick louder in the mix).

3 Likes

Hi!
The point of this is that you can give the kick more room.

But before you try to work on this, try to work on your mixing, eq’s and arrangement to let it shine.
That means for me: drop low frequencies on hats, etc., etc. to give room to where it belongs to.
If you think it sounds great then go through the compressor.

That’s at least I try to do it.

3 Likes

I only use the Digitakt’s compressor for light master compressor duties. If I want to duck something, I use the sequencer and trig locks, or triggered LFOs, or one of a few other ways to approach it. I also like the FX track on the Syntakt better for this. I don’t really duck steps like that much anyway. The one place I do like to use it is on a quiet white noise track, off of the kick to make a mushy hihat texture on occasion.

3 Likes