What's wrong with OB, all DT in Mono

Hi,

today i come back in my studio after a while and decided to record a DT (1.20) & DN (1.30) jam with OB (2.041.11) in Ableton 10.

normaly with my mac (High Sierra 10.13) i use an agregate device in order to record DT &DN at the same time without problems in previous OS…I was able to record twenty channels on DT and 12 on DN
But not today.

Today I see in the OB control pannel 12 channels for DT (kick snare etc) but all come in mono in my daw

what am I doing wrong???

DT’s individual track channels via OB have always been mono and without FX.

2 Likes

I’m quite sure tyhat was stereo

Nope. See this older thread for confirmation:

in my older projects i have record stereo files with panning on some tracks

You must’ve either panned them in Ableton or else recorded the main outs which are stereo.

3 Likes

nope i’m sure

DT can’t even play stereo samples. :slight_smile:

Ableton Live treats everything after you recorded directly from a mono source as dual mono. You’ll see two identical channels. Still mono, though.

1 Like

From the manual:

4 Likes

DN can be pan from the DN, though.

2 Likes

well now I crying :sweat_smile:

i didn’t remember that was recording in mono, i was certain to record in stereo but it was with beta version so maybe in ableton In 1 and 2 was for master 2 & 4 was for track one etc… 19 &20 was for DT in… Or maybe I didn’t notice it :sweat:

well thanks guys

Now

1 Like

All good. You can pan in Ableton if you want some stereo space, or record each track individually from the mains for stereo FX on each track :slight_smile:

The thing is that the images of the recordings are in Stereo but they are Mono.

Edit : referring to DT.

Re-edit : dual mono instead of stereo

1 Like

The digitone records stereo and all the panning for individual tracks, it’s the only one that does all the rest are mono

2 Likes

But the DN doesn’t record the Stereo FX on individual Tracks.

1 Like

I never understood why the recordings are Stereo but in reality they are Mono (DT).

1 Like

Which DAW do you use?

Ableton Live displays all recordings as dual mono or stereo, you’ll always see two channels. Two identical channels on mono audio.

Exception is when recording directly from an audio interfaces’ mono input. Any additional processing in Live after that recording (resampling onto another track etc.) will cause Live again to display the audio as dual mono.

Not sure which other DAW works similar, I’ve been mostly using Live since version 4.

2 Likes
1 Like