What's your TECHNO setup

Excellent! No techno system is complete without the Dfam or two!!! :cool:

2 Likes

Yeah I mean I got into music through hardcore and punk, played bass in a few bands, did some touring. Electronic music was always on my periphery, a little bit of Aphex Twin or Drexciya or Muslimgauze late at night. Sort of stumbled into techno after my last band fell through, delving deep into Detroit and UK stuff at first. Saw this video of A Guy Called Gerald and the actual production finally clicked and sold all my bass gear for synths and drum machines.

15 Likes

Change of plan :slight_smile: The more I looked into the Digitone the more I realised it was perfect for me. Got it yesterday, it’s really good, I’ve picked it all up really quickly too. It’s sound amazing through high quality vst like bx_orangepedal, Valhalla delay.

Still considering those behringer clones, there’s too many to choose from, the ms-20, the boog, the 303. I missed out on a Deepmind 12D for £400, should have grabbed it. Either one of those of the Modal Skulpt, it’s VA but sounds unbelievable for the price.

Seriously, check it out, you’ll be shocked. Sounds pretty much as good as A Virus, but for £250… it’s not super high quality build though.

Looking at the SP404’s more than a Digitakt tbh. The samples is sort of limited, but not really, the more you use it the better you realise it’s been designed. It’s never a chore.

Then either the Pittsburgh SV1 or the 0-coast. Depending what I get from above.

After that, maybe just a Analog Heat. Either that or pedals, I need to go and check them all out myself. I might buy a Elysia Mpressor, software compressors are actually starting to get really good now though. People should check out the BX_N(eve) Channel Strip, the tone and shape of it is amazing, not so keen on the eq positions. Also, the Kazrog Compressor, it’s a LA style one, it sounds really good on drums, the 1st model. Also, the new BX_SSL 9000.

4 Likes

Gives me back spasms every time I watch.

3 Likes

Finally got everything wired up with the Akai MPC X at the hub, really wanted to control all this with the Digitakt but problems with midi cc program changes made me rethink.
Glad I used the Akai as the main sequencer now because

• Plenty of mid outs
  • 16 Q-Links (now I can control DT/DK with 16 encoders not 8
  • No skippy the first note on program changes on each pattern
  • Still use DT/DK encoders as well as the MPC X encoders

Anyways here’s my setup below. This will do the job

Absolutely love the Digitone Keys, I have the Korg Radias 4 parts being triggered and played by the DK

7 Likes

here my tehcno setup just a simple analog rytm and ME

30 Likes

How are you using the fx boxes?

1 Like

MD500 and RV500 aux send/return on the mixer and DD500 direct with the Radias for that Terra Echo setting.

1 Like

No lie, I’m always more impressed by someone who uses the smallest setup possible over big studios.

2 Likes

Less is More!

Picked up a Nord lead 2x and the zed mixer. Got the space and the triple delay on sends. I’ve packed away the rest of my gear for now.

14 Likes

Are you programming that from the machine drum, no keyboard?

I am. The plan is to maybe pick up a squarp pyramid (or one day a cirklon) if I start to feel the limitations of the MD sequencer.

I uploaded a picture earlier, pretty new to the stuff myself and can’t really say what my ‘techno setup’ is because i’m mainly interested in technoish sound but i imagine if i have to play live techno in front of people for some hours the rytm would be more than enough.

A previous setup of mine, dialed in for live techno.

Analog Rytm, Analog Four, Pigtronix Infinity, RNC, BBE, Vestax Mixer.

Used the Infinity for transitions.
Later I added a Roland TM-2 to A4’s CV track, and treated the A4+TM2 as one deck, and Rytm as another. Mixing between the two, looping with the infinity still.

The setup evolved and informed how I prefer to play live now.
Looping and live EQ are the critical components. Whether they come from a stereo loop pedal with a DJ mixer, or an OT with an MF Twister MIDI controller, I am comfortable either way.
Currently exploring MS as one deck and MC+A4 as the second deck, with OT on mix/loop/eq duties.

16 Likes

If I had to pick one bit of gear that helps me more than any other to make techno it would be this. I used to own a Mackie SR24 years back when making techno in the 90’s and although I knew a mixer is important enough to still own a 24, felt the Mackie wasn’t really needed. However, when looking to distort stuff, create structure on the fly, and jam the mixer in the way I wanted, nothing does it better for me. Glad I picked up this beaten 16 and super cheap too as some channels didn’t work although they all worked when it arrived, I guess maybe they got knocked into operation in the post.

5 Likes

Every time I see a mixer with a lamp I feel inferior.

3 Likes

haha, it’s my first lamp :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice setup

7 Likes

Just stick a table lamp on with gaffer tape.

3 Likes