What's your TECHNO setup

A lamp on a mixer is like cupholders in a car. Simple, elegant, the sort of thing that should have been standard from day one.
Those that have them live their lives, barely noticing, even caring about what they have, how lucky they are…
Those that don’t have them live a life of incessant bodge, always telling themselves they’re ok, that they made good choices but deep down they know. They know they’ll never be able to set up at a gig without gaffer tape. They know they will always have to carry the extra bag of shame containing their lamp. Imagine all the times you’ll be told by techies and airport staff discovering your bag of shameful illumination about those desks with built in lamps. How it will eat away at you…

Yes, you can just gaffer tape a lamp to your setup, but don’t you have any pride?
Don’t you just find yourself gazing at pictures of mixers with built in lamps thinking “god, you lucky bastard.”?

12 Likes

Nope :). I’m the sort of person who’d stick an £8 amazon LED lamp on this if it worked.

2 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

I spent ages looking for a good one and ended up just repurposing some Ikea Dioder sets with doublestick tape and blacking out the top of the panels with electrical tape so it only projects downward onto the gear.

1 Like

I see you have those “not in production anymore” Traktor units at the sides of your mixer. How are these working out for you?

I’ve been searching for controllers like these to use in conjunction with a proper mixer with send/returns, and these really look promising.

lol I always say:
AR + DN = Techno
AR + DT = House
DT + DN = DnB

7 Likes

I usually use a headlamp when playing live…or nothing. I’d love a mixer with a lamp though.

1 Like

Basically my studio 20 years ago
6 Likes

The D2 are great. Never had any issue with them. Good to see your tracks waveforms on screen etc.

1 Like

11 Likes

I guess that answers my question of weather those OTO FX units are any good.

He’s used all sorts over the years. Here’s a modular he’s using over some records. Never tried to see what he’s got in there.

2 Likes

Check these out. So Bright, 3 really nice modes, there’s a golden light mode that’s just really nice and almost soothing on the eyes. You can use them while charging. Small and weigh nothing so easy to stick on with blu tack

3 Likes

Listen here for an elaborate discussion of his live and studio gear:

4 Likes

Yeah cheers, I lost the link to that podcast series somehow.

5 Likes

A nice setup from Drumcell

4 Likes

this is how my mobile techno setup looks like now. digtakt->digitone->1010 blackbox

20 Likes

Cool little setup!
What’s the Launch Control doing here and how is it connected?

3 Likes

Thanks! The launchcontrol is connected directly to the Blackbox. I use ist for filtering and pitching stuff. 8 pads are triggered via digitakt and the other 8 are one shots/loops triggered via the launchcontrol pads.