What's your top 5 from Superbooth 2023?

• UDO Super Gemini:
    Beautiful design, poly aftertouch with great keybed, full hands on control without menu diving, big sound which feels very different from other synths. Not within my budget now but definitely a synth for the future to dream about.

• Reliq Instruments Reliq:
    The ultimate grid controller for MIDI, CV and audio? Made in Holland! Totally did a pre order! :heart_eyes:

• Soundforce Juno Chorus:
    Even if I havenā€™t heard a good demo yet it does bring it another step closer to a full Juno-60.

• Arturia Microfreak limited edition & update.
    Love the new black space look and the update is another great welcome. Canā€™t ignore that thing any longer.

• Elektron Analog Heat + FX
    Although I wouldā€™ve liked to see a lot more on the unit Iā€™m still very interested to see what it will be capable of after future updates.

3 Likes

Too many same old same old. I am interested in how Tempera and Alphabase MK2 turns out.

2 Likes

1: Being at SUPERBOOTH.
I found it really great to be there for the first time. Just hanging around and be able to play all the gear, talk to people and listen to others playing on gear.

2: Udo audio, you said it all already.

3: AhFx, not in the market yet but found it really fun to jam on it and I could see myself getting one for studio/live work, some day.

4: I had a nice chat with Torso electronic, very nice guy and so open to user feedback.

5: I was only there on Thursday so I canā€™t speak for the performing acts on the other days but Tunegirl Thursday evening was so cool and the audience was just amazing as well.

3 Likes

The event seems to be getting better with each year. Wish I wouldā€™ve been there this year. Hopefully next year. :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. Make Noise Spectraphon (going to actually get this and use it as soon as possible, already reorganizing my case)
  2. Whatever the heck Korg is doing with those magnets (nice to have a technical wow moment)
  3. Microfreak update and new skin (but not the preorder process. Arturia, fix the button on your website to say ā€˜coming soonā€™ )

(About twenty blank spaces)

1. AH+FX - Iā€™ll own this in five years

(About fifty blank spaces)

1. Tiptop audios new communication standard (ART). I didnā€™t hear anything in the demo videos that didnā€™t sound like plain old eurorack but Iā€™m prepared to be revolutionized once they get that second round of videos out. I hope I donā€™t have to buy all new eurorackā€¦
4 Likes

the ā€œthingā€ from krog looks great !

1 Like
  1. TP-7

Iā€™ll elaborate when I feel alive again

5 Likes

Haha. Busy few days

I was really hoping to see some new interesting types of ā€œgroove boxesā€ this year.
Only the PolyPulse thing as far as I know. It does look interesting but it remains to see if they can pull it off.

Other than that AH+fx seems really cool but like a lot of things itā€™s not for me I think :thinking:

The Tempera also looked nice and seemed like it had an interesting interface but Iā€™m not so into granular stuff these days

Super Gemini is the winner for me by far. The Korg acoustic synth thing is really interesting, looking forward to seeing where they go with that. The GR Mega looks and sounds great. The Reliq seems very cool, always hoping to see more interesting matrix mixer thingies. And apart from that Iā€™m not sure what else is exciting to me, Iā€™m not bothered about modular stuff (yet).

1 Like

I hear you on the new microfreak. I did preorder from Guitar Center, rep says they have a ship date of June 2nd. Although he did say Arturia has delayed their dates with other products in the past.

1 Like

Iā€™ll tell you what Iā€™m not interested in - Any product where there is no willingness to talk about price, or even a rough ballpark estimate of what it would cost to own one. So therefore, by comparison, everything mentioned in this thread seems fine to me.

Iā€™m curious to see what happens with tempera and if RMR is just blowing smoke or if they actually intend to keep it under $600. When considering that chompi was released around the same price point, tempera seems like a luxury jet by comparison.

I feel like unfortunately a lot of whatā€™s been reported on, though logical upgrades, are redundant to what is already available but finegear put forth a couple of interesting mixer and effects boxes.

1 Like

mn spectraphon, korg phase 5, frap tools cunsa, verbos real world interface, everything jomox showed

I donā€™t have much space, so I only care about desktop units. I also mostly work with samples. But most importantly, Iā€™m broke. So I have a hard time getting too interested in things that might be more than $1000 or so. That said:

1. Sonicware Texture Lab - Sounds great and the price is right. This is the only thing I saw that I might actually buy.
  2. Kiviak Wofi - My only real gripe with what Iā€™ve seen of it is that you can only use one sample at a time. I really like the different pitch algorithms and how fast the sampling is.
  3. Microfreak - I like the new color and adding sample playback to its other list of powers is pretty crazy. Is this the cheapest thing that can play back samples through and analog filters ever?
  4. Tasty Chips GR Mega - It looks amazing even though I canā€™t imagine a universe where I can afford one.
  5. Analog Heat and FX - Same deal as above. I was really impressed by it but I doubt Iā€™ll ever be able to afford one. Especially since, if I had $1000 tomorrow to spend on another Elektron box, Iā€™d probably try to get my hands on a used Octatrack or a Syntakt.

But yeah, thereā€™s a whole lot of cool stuff this year. I didnā€™t expect to see this much after NAMM.

8 Likes

Not sure if Iā€™ll buy any of these things, butā€¦

1. Super Gemini
  2. Tasty Chips GR (something)
  3. Reliq
  4. Tempera
  5. Spectraphon
1 Like

My top5:

1. kabuki
  2. oora
  3. matt thibideau
  4. mark verbos
  5. dub live set at bungalowdorf

And lot of friends and gear

3 Likes
  1. Tempera
  2. Liven Texture Lab
  3. Microfreak v5.0
  4. Super Gemini
  5. Surprisingly for me, Norand Mono MK2

Also, best work in progress: Tatsā€™ new Korg concept

TONS of exciting work coming out of the gear world these days.

And maybe the Roland S-1 but I feel like my SH-4d has me covered for now.

1 Like

No love for Bastl Bestie?

1 Like
  • Microfreak firmware. Itā€™s free and makes something I already have even better. Iā€™m glad to have been wrong in another thread about Minifreak getting more updates before Microfreak.

• Sonicware Texture Lab. Iā€™ve been keeping an eye on Sonicware for a while, probably because I found them really earnest and endearing in a previous trade show interview. This looks like a great granular setup at roughly Volca prices, which is an easier buy for people who want to try it out or use it as an occasional flavor in the setup.

• Korg thing. I enjoyed how nerdy the demos of this were and Iā€™m interested to see if they do anything with it.

• Elta Solar 42. Looks like an interesting improvement on the Solar 50. I could never quite justify the original but things are lining up for me with this one - itā€™s more than just a huge drone now, I have a better grasp personally of what I like doing and how I use synths. If itā€™s really 1500 USD? Iā€™ll be waiting for the Perfect Circuit preorder link and saving up.

• Just generally that Superbooth was lively and full of interesting announcements, people, etc. Maybe someday I will go there for myself.

2 Likes