When did having the original box become a thing?

Eventually, everything becomes vintage and /or rare…

2 Likes

Like space in your house?

This is definitely how I think. I like to try lots of gear but sell on quickly if I feel like it’s not my cup of tea.

When I had a blank wall I briefly toyed with the idea of making a wall display from the smaller boxes instead of just keeping them in the cupboard. A bit like one of those uneven acoustic wall baffles.

Just bought a great condition analog rytm with the original box, fillings and manual. Feels good man

1 Like

What is the ‘’Original Box’? The very first box made. Surely its no longer out there. :face_with_monocle:

I don’t really care about the resale value of stuff, I rarely sell things I’ve bought. But if I sell anything, it’s nice to have a box ready for shipment/transport already, just have to find something to wrap it in.

Reason I keep all boxes, is because the device fit nicely in there so when I have to move it around, it’s easy to pack into moving boxes or just as-is, rather than having to find some other way of transporting it. Also nice when I stop using something over a longer period of time. In a box it goes, and away from my main desk in some corner/wardrobe, until I urge for it next time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Always keep the box. If you ever need to sell your synth it adds to the resale value. Many people come to buy and don’t want the box. But having a picture where the gear looks mint with the box adds to desirability. Not to mention many sales are going to happen via shipping, and in that case you want the box on hand to properly fit and transport the gear. Keeping the unit in good condition and with original packaging shows you care about your unit. Lastly even if you never sell and sit on the unit for a couple decades… having that box is going to make your stuff that much more collectable?

If you buy and sell often, keeping the box is actually a good way of ensuring that you can ship the devices safely since the boxes have been designed with shipping in mind…

5 Likes

8 months ago I bought a Push 2 without the box for around 400€, that’s about what they go for, maybe a bit less maybe a bit more. I buy it to make music so I don’t feel the need to try bargain if everythings working.

So a while back I realised this wasn’t for me, I put it up for 400€, and mfs say “well since you don’t have the box… 300€?”

A piece of fucking cardboard for 100€? I’m not doing this for collection and ownership purposes and neither should you.
I’m not going to throw away a box if I have it, though I wonder sometimes if we all just collectively said fuck the boxes, we would all come out winning. Especially those of us in small apartments.

I get that vintage gear will hold more value in a box, but don’t try to make the box worth 1/4th of the price. 1/8th or 10th maybe, be reasonable when you’re bargaining.

Or we could just completely stop caring about the music and just start trading boxes.

1 Like

Ark of the covenant

I always keep the boxes of music gear.

Handy for selling, better price, use for shipping.

Its always been around and i much prefer buying second hand if the seller has everything it came with(manuals, packaging etc)

I won’t pretend to understand whether there’s a collectors market or some other psychology at work, but to my mind having the box is less about valuing cardboard at 100€ and more about the condition of the gear.

First, as has been mentioned, having the box greatly increases the chances that the gear will arrive to me in the condition shipped.

Second, someone who has the box is more likely to have all the manuals, adapters, and other little curio that can be difficult to track down on their own if it turns out you need them.

And finally, having the box just shows a certain mentality on the part of the owner. I know most of us here respect our gear and care for it well, but that definitely does not go for the general population. Having the box can be a signal that either a) I thought ahead about selling this down the road or b) am getting this as a collectors item. And in both cases you’d expect a better chance of the device to be well cared for in a good environment.

2 Likes

For me power supply and actual instrument is all I ask for, and an honest description of the condition it’s in.
All I’m saying is, I don’t wanna ask someone to sell something for 3/4ths of the “market” price because that’s what I’ll get if I resell. Granted I didn’t and I sold it for 400€. So it’s not an issue, it just gets on my nerves when people try to undervaluate something that doesn’t have it’s box/quick-start guide or w/e.

Instead, pay extra for that extra stuff if that’s what your into. I’ll always take the good deal without the box, but that’s just different strokes you know. My income isn’t great which definitely plays a role too, atm I’m just happy to be able to make music with what I purchased.

1 Like

If the same item is being sold by multiple sellers, the items that include original boxes are more attractive than those without.

3 Likes

I don’t know what your experiences have been, but I often find this hard to come by. It’s one of the reasons I look for a box. Having the original box and materials has been, for me anyway, a better indicator of the gear’s condition than the seller’s description in most cases.

2 Likes

I’ve only ever bought a Push, AR and A4 both mk1. Not sure how it’s elsewhere but in sweden I just waited a bit to find someone near me and met up with the seller to test it out for myself before purchasing. In those cases the descriptions were all very accurate.

I get that it could be an indication, and if you’ve found out that seems to be the case then I understand going for that option when you can’t meet up with a seller.

1 Like

Totally. Likewise, were I meeting someone in person for a purchase, I definitely wouldn’t care about the box.

1 Like

For me, if it is the original owner and they tossed the box, in always suspect about how they treat their gear.

1 Like