Which delay pedal? Recommendations from users

I got a red panda particle 2 for the granular stuff, but am finding that it’s quite good as a regular (whatever that means) delay pedal. Using it with vocals, subharmonicon, etc., it’s full of surprises. Meris polymoon is also full of surprises. And analog four is a great delay, filter box, and effects processor in general, my desert island thingy. And this desert island is where we’ll all be soon, given how quickly our social and natural habitats are collapsing around us.

1 Like

I can’t see any proper specs for the D1 but if it doesn’t support a line level input you’ll either need to turn down (a lot) or use a re-amper to bring the line level down to instrument level, eg:

http://orchid-electronics.co.uk/Amp_Interface.htm

Radial also make (more expensive) ones.

You’ll probably then need to add the gain back afterwards with a preamp or mixer gain or whatever, depending on what you want to do with it.

Thanks for the reply. I have a Radial XTC that I use for distortion pedals but it’s mono and I don’t want to shell that kind of money out again. I’m going to give the Polymoon a try because they actually have a “synth” input mode which supports up to a +3.6V signal which is pretty hot!

1 Like

The Polymoon is awesome but also not your average delay unit. Quite experimental.

Yeah anything from Meris, Strymon or Eventide will happily accept line level. Eventide have a physical switch. On the Polymoon there’s a line level setting you have to switch on in the startup settings mode. You have to switch the stereo-in mode (via TRS) on in the same way.

Polymoon is great, love mine, but definitely a bit unconventional.

I use Source Audio Nemesis and am very satisfied, especially with its very high level of adaptation through a desktop App (Mobile version exists but with less details).
Totally midi manageable with many presets (and more with a neuro hub).
They also introduced recently a Delay+Reverb pedal, the Collider, but I prefer the originalcouple Nemesis and Ventris.

1 Like

I had the polymoon. It’s very cool but as said earlier, this is very special delay that don’t fit everytime. I tried many delay pedal for synth and I found the best: a soundcard with VST plugin. It’s so much less expensive. Take a simple scarlett + any plug for the price of a meris or strymon.

1 Like

Resurrecting this thread. I’m looking for a delay that has midi and also allows the analog signal to pass through without being converted. Does such a pedal exist?

To clarify, you want a true bypass switch or separate outputs for the dry and wet signals? Or a signal flow where the delay signal is mixed with the dry signal in the analogue domain?

Eventide wrote they did tests with both methods and went for converting the dry signal to digital, because when the dry signal stays analog, it can result in flanging when dry and (the from processing slightly delayed) wet are mixed back together.

And even if you have a digital synth, this would add an additional ad/da process. I wouldn’t lose sleep over good quality conversion, tho. :wink:

1 Like

This if possible.

Interesting. Maybe what I want is not possible!

The Audiothingies Doc A (and others) works like this. Dry signal stays analog and is mixed with the effect signal.

1 Like

Sorry if this is out of topic but I just bought an Audiothingies Doctor A and I think I found the perfect delay and reverb pedal for my synths :

• There’s a true analog dry signal path
  • It handles +19dBu signals
  • The delay is MIDI-synch’ed
  • The different delay and reverb algorithms are gorgeous
  • It super playable in live
  • and can be modulated via CV
  • And it can be configured as a dual mono effect
2 Likes

Ha ha so I’m not out of topic…

1 Like

How much can you modulate and process the delays? I really like the vst echoboy and its ability to really mess up the delays (like making them sound like am radio etc.)

I’ll have to make some tests

Well I just tried modulating the delay time using CV with a fast LFO and I confirm you can really mess up the delays :smiley:

1 Like

Re dry signal ad conversion on effects:

Did anyone here ever experience negative side-effects like the aforementied flanging on effects with a dry analog path? I guess it would be most obvious on drums, percussion and percussive stuff in general.

All my effects convert the dry signal to digital, but I use them mostly as send effects anyways so it wouldn´t make a difference even with effects that have a dry analog signal path.

I have lots of delays with an analog dry signal path. Never had any issues with any of them.

1 Like