Which sequencers import MIDI?

Thinking I want to noodle around on a keyboard while recording its midi, edit and bring over to something that will, ideally, send CV, but MIDI is fine. Whatcha got? Stand alone or Euro is fine.

(I know MPCs can do this; I’m sure Cirklon can. )

Bonus points for (at least) sample playback.

Squarp Pyramid
Roland MC-707 / MC-101

2 Likes

Oh wow the Roland’s do this? Had no idea. Thanks.

I don’t believe I’ve used any sequencer, hardware or software, that didn’t do this.

yeah, it was added in FW 1.30

SMF Import Function Added
An SMF (Standard MIDI File) saved on an SD card can be imported into
a clip.

• SMF that you want to load must be placed in the ROLAND/
    GROOVEBOX/MIDI folder of the SD card.
1 Like

Elektrons don’t?

1 Like

Yeah the Roland MC’s can import up a SMF, but I believe any data that does not fit into one Clip is discarded.

Several arranger keyboards can import and export SMF files. A “sequence” on those is a performance recorded as MIDI, although the ones above a certain price point have a multitrack recording mode - so those who are less skilled at realtime keyboard playing can, say, just record the auto-accompaniment part, then overdub a melody line or something. Sample-playback is the primary engine on all of them, though user sampling tends to be only available above a certain price point. Mine is a Yamaha PSR-SX600, which has the AWM2 rompler engine that has appeared on other Yamaha keyboards. It also has a selection of Super Articulation voices, which are sample based, but can introduce extra sound effects like guitar string slides, trumpet falls, etc. depending on your playing plus a trigger button/pedal.

1 Like

Thank you. I have a poly synth already (alpha juno2); just looking to use that.

Re Roland Clips: sounds like longer files won’t fly then? I’ll definitely RTFM on it.

Yeah, if you have space limitations, an arranger keyboard is going to take up more of it than an MPC One or Live/Live 2.

1 Like

The info is in the update document. Roland’s choice to never update the reference manual and instead update a file called MC707_update_whatever.pdf is odd but it is what it is.

" NOTE

All tracks included in the SMF are overwritten onto one clip."

One clip is 128 steps, which is 8 measures if you leave it in the 1 measure=16 steps configuration.

2 Likes

OK so Elektron makes the only sequencer I’ve used in 30 years that doesn’t import midi.

2 Likes

1010music Blackbox can import MIDI

2 Likes

Uhhh…oookkkk. Strange. Anyway I’ll look more in depth about this when I make my list. Yeah, I’m looking for something teeeeeeny, and while the MC-101 is small, I bet it’s limited in a lot of ways.

Thanks again.

Maybe Sunvox running on a Raspberry Pi inside a small enclosure? That’s about the tiniest solution I can think of.

Sunvox imports/exports MIDI files and also has MIDI I/O. Super flexible sequencer.

2 Likes

Nor export.

1 Like

(A bit late, but …) Does a retrokits RK-008 fit the bill ?

I’d welcome any additions to the suggestions above, BTW.

The 404mk2 does also I believe

Why not record the MIDI in?

Easy to do, can record 16 channels all at once too.

Obviously there are some use cases where importing is more convenient, however I find recording it in works well most of the time for me.