Which USB-C monitor with powered usb hub for Mac and Windows?

Hi all,

Based on this thread I managed to narrow down my needs a bit further.

I recently booted up my custom audio PC and realised that a powered monitor USB hub would enable me to work with both my MacBook and windows PC.

Use case:

1. Connect my MacBook to the monitor with a single usb c cable. preferably it would charge my Mac, but most inportantly it should be able to power my midi controllers, multiclock and rme babyface. I plan on connecting some overbridge devices to the monitor later on.

2. Connect my PC with HDMI, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to hook it up via usb c and use is as a hub as the desktop is a bit older. It has a usb c connector but is only says ss (I think). If so I’ll just swap my soundcard usb to my desktop usb. Or get an additional hub the I can switch between monitor and desktop.

Long story short, I’m looking for a usb c monitor which could facilitate this. Preferably not too expensive and doesn’t have to be 4k or very big

Any suggestions?

My wife uses a Dell P2419HC with her macbook. I think it meets all your criteria.

The codes used for different models for Dell monitors get confusing. The “P” is “professional” which means it has plenty of connectivity options and a hub. “24” is the size in inches, the “19” is the year, so you’d probably want P2422HC or something now. “H” means it has a basic stand that just allows it to turn side to side and slide up and down (not fully adjustable with tilt etc), and the “C” is the important bit: it has USB-C.

The USB-C connection can be used for power delivery (i.e. you can charge the macbook from the monitor) as well as connecting the screen and its built-in USB hub to the macbook. It also has DisplayPort and HDMI inputs, so you could connect your desktop to it too (and then you use the on-screen menu to select between the DP, HDMI and USB-C sources).

We have three Dell Pnnnn monitors here, they’re good quality and last well.

2 Likes

Yeah, well the idea is to bypass the need to buy an external usb c dock/hub by combining it with upgrading my screen

sound exactly what im looking for I’ll try to find one at the local electronics store, thanks:)

I think they want a hub for connecting additional gear, not just for the video signal to the monitor. And so rather than getting a new monitor and a powered hub, just get a monitor with a built-in hub.

1 Like

I use a Gigabyte KVM monitor for similar purpose that I’m fairly happy with. I think it’s the M32U model.

I have my work windows laptop hooked up by usbc, and my desktop pc via display port and the usb hub cable. It has a button you can use to switch what device you’re using. Keyboard and mouse are hooked to the monitor and i have another usb hub connected to a usb port on the monitor. The monitor ports are best set and forget because they’ll always be nuisance to get to.

I think the power delivery/charging is pretty weak and slow on most of these monitors compared to a dedicated charger.

Came here to say this. I have the exact same monitor and it has worked well.
Double check the power delivery output on the four (I think) USB-A ports. If I remember correctly only one or two can give more than the standard 5V/500mA. So a tablet or possibly a sound card won’t charger/power from the standard spec ones. But there should one or two that does provide proper power delivery.
USB-C connection has PD specs and will power your MacBook while also streaming video.

1 Like

I am pretty sure there’s very few choices.

To be honest, one usb cable handling video, power and then a usb hub on top does not sound like a good combo if you do music production.