Who is the Aaliyah of now?

Anyone out there who makes such delectable tracks as Aaliyah; like Rock the Boat without too much vocal boast?

4 Likes

With what sadly happened to her, I don’t anybody wants to be the Aaliyah of now.

2 Likes

not to poo poo on todays artists, but Aaliyah may be in a league unto her own self.

This may be the last serious post I make today, take it to heart.

3 Likes

Not sure it’s too comparable to Aaliyah overall, but I’ve been enjoying the heck out of this H.E.R. set the past couple months: https://youtu.be/hxxcEzM8r-4

Haven’t been able to find an actual recording I like as much as that set, but either way, it’s great.

2 Likes

None. There was only one Aaliyah.

4 Likes

Yea, I can see that… I can’t think of any r&b artist I’ve heard that really compares. Something otherworldly about her and hard to define and I’m sure she would of went on to make some albums which even eclipsed what she had put out.

1 Like

this reminded me of some of aaliyah.
jhene aiko

Real answer: No one
Fun answer: Besides H.E.R., Fka Twigs maybe?

I messed up my reading. auto tune existed :frowning:

Maybe some Aaliyah-ness to Kelela’s work.

Old one:

New one:

@onthebannedwagon - think you got the wrong video there :slight_smile:

1 Like

In a kinder would Aaliyah would still be alive and auto-tune would of never been born.

:flushed: ugh, I corrected it :grimacing:

1 Like

:joy: I was watching it thinking, I don’t remember it like this - when does she come in?!

1 Like

In a kinder would Aaliyah would still be alive and auto-tune would of never been born.

No more auto-tune, uh?

Thank god we still have autocorrect :wink:

Been enjoying new Sudan Archives stuff, in fact stones throw is a great label for new r&b and soul releases

4 Likes

What do you meat?

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like