Who is the Bob Dylan of the Electronic Music world?

Just logging on to make sure there was adequate shit talking of Dylan and there is enough for my taste

1 Like

Good points. I don’t think I suggested that electronica was “purely” a Black genre in any way, but apologies if I gave that impression. And you’re right about current Black artists’ success (in the same way that Michael Jackson etc. capitalized on the white market in the 80s).

Totally agree that it’s complicated–just adding some additional perspective.

The obvious answer is: Bob Dylan. A man who has had an undeniable, lasting impact on art and culture of the western world for decades. Electronic music falls under this umbrella.

I think this inquiry isn’t fully cooked
I’m not an engineer, but I work with a lot of engineers, and I think a formal specification clarification is required to hash this out.

What is Bob Dylan in this context?
The father of the wallflowers guy? (again the answer is Bob Dylan).
One of the guys who help write the timeless soundtrack of Vietnam era?
The guy who help Jimi find his voice?
The harmonica guy?
etc. etc.?

1 Like

This is a minefield of an area because, just like the bluesmen before them, black (and gay) artists were left out of the financial discussions in the early days of the music they helped to found.

I don’t think there is a question who created House: gay black men. I don’t think there is any cross-pollination there of Kraftwerk or anybody else: those were black and gay clubs DJed by gay black men playing disco and R&B, genres that people were racistly shrugging off (or burning). Full stop.

Techno is a little more complicated. While certainly influenced by Kraftwerk et al, I think black men in Detroit established what we now define as techno. But I think there was enough influencing either way to make it complicated.

Fortunately there seems to be more recognition of their contributions than their blues and rock-n-roll forbearers. But unfortunately very unequal in comparison to their modern white counterparts.

Yeah, I was just commenting on whether it’s fair to call Aphex Twin or Orbital or any electronic music artist from the UK as ripping off a black music style, as british musicians were among the first to make any kind of popular electronic music. The influencing was a back and forth rather than a one sided arrangement.

1 Like

Please keep this thread polite and respectful.

4 Likes

I’m reminded of The Dark Knight Returns, where Gordon describes Batman as “too big”. Dylan is really Too Big for this topic to work, and I say that with a healthy appreciation for iconoclasm. The question is ultimately pointless because this mythical person wouldn’t be ‘the Bob Dylan of electronic music’, they’d just be another Bob Dylan. But Lord knows it’s futile to start worrying about pointless activities at this stage in my life, so what the hell.

3 Likes

The way I understand it, house was a direct descendant to disco like rock & roll is to blues, and disco was a very multicultural phenomenon. While the early innovators of house music were gay and black, it did not have a long tradition before transitioning to other communities and across the pond. There’s naturally a long tradition of straight white dudes ripping off the culture of urban minorities, in the case of electronic music in my opinion it’s more of a back and forth movement.

1 Like

Hot-take: Miles Davis is the Bob Dylan of electronic music.

You cannot tell me In A Silent Way did not explode what music with electronic elements could be.

2 Likes

Maybe. I don’t know enough about that. I had been under the impression disco was black considering the reaction the white rock community had to it. But again I don’t know. I’d be interested though.

It wasn’t exclusively black, but it was an inner city movement and style so mostly of black & hispanic people (minorities in general), as well as sexual minorities. Still, there were white DJ’s involved, it was a melting pot type of thing rather than a cultural tradition of any particular people.

1 Like

:champagne:

Let’s take the example of Dutch Gabber.
Yes, it’s a sort of techno, therefore owes at least something to the Detroit masters. But then it also has a huge amount of industrial, EBM, Grindcore, death metal, 80’s horror films, hip-hop, punk, post punk, the list could go on.
The history of the various branches of European Techno is complex and intertwined with so many cultures and subcultures it’s difficult to say that it came from any one place. That’s why I love it, proper mongrel music. That feeling of togetherness, that we’re all welcome, that’s the overriding feeling I get at raves and parties. No-one’s sitting there debating it, they’re there to enjoy it together.

That’s a world away from a bunch of white guys getting rich pretty much stealing the music of a black artist and repackaging it for hysterical teenage girls. I don’t blame the Beatles for doing it, everyone was doing it, I blame the system that allowed that to go on, a system that I believe has been significantly disempowered by the liberating effect of taking drugs and dancing to 4/4 beats together.

I’m an optimist though.

9 Likes

Four tet is the Bob Dylan of electronic music - 72% hair reasons 26% Artistic reasons 2% Trolling.

7 Likes
5 Likes

omfg :joy: :joy: :joy:

Is that Travis Barker in the “Masked Drummer”?

Vengaboys

3 Likes