Why buy a synthesizer when the app is just as good?

Tools are tools, what separates the spice-brained “nerd” from “normie” really depends on how you use them over what you use :smiley:

Some people use off-the-shelf stuff in whackadoodle ways that max out everything, and more “avant DAWless” hardware setups can be snoozers.

1 Like

Why pay for sex in real life with actual dollars when you can pay for sex in the metaverse with a few doge coins?

3 Likes

what

Does one ever really need more crack?

Eurocrack

1 Like

:rofl:

To get laid in the metaverse you need to buy the NFT top hat, NFT steampunk goggles, and to activate the “street magic” emote in the microtransaction shop.

2 Likes

If anyone can spare me a few doge I would be mighty grateful. I am feeling, um… like something has awakened in me! But, is it cheating??!

Not if you have “an arrangement” with your waifu-pillow.

1 Like

Actually, my gf got rid of my body pillow sometimes after I named it…

I am super intrigued by this thing, I just never grasped how to use it if you want to automate more than 1 parameter at once. I guess you would have to make a macro in Ableton for example. But I love that you just click on a parameter and its mapped. That is pretty darn cool.

1 Like

I think it’s just a mouse click and a horizontal or vertical mouse scroll, that’s all the computer “sees” when you use it. So it can do anything you can do with “click and then scroll” using a mouse. If you can use the mouse to control more than one parameter at a time, the nob can do it. If you can’t, it can’t.

2 Likes

Yep makes sense. Pretty cool little thing for those of us that want to quickly map a knob in the DAW. I use the Novation launchkey which is pretty solid as well - automaps to mutliple parameters on whatever plugin I select. Although it does not work for everything. I guess the advantage of the Nob is you just click and it works on any parameter.

For some, if you can afford it and the upkeep, the answer is just to keep it alive.

1 Like

so ive got my ideal sound covered by an ios app which is Icegear Lagrange : id do anything for a hardware version of this synth with a proper sequencer and arp and keybed and knobs and omgzzzz. closest sound i hear to it is the Digitone and the OP-1 (which i initially got Lagrange in the first place to pacify my desire for lofi twinkly op1 sounds)

for me theres definitely something much more about a physical instrument , the whole experience and each individual piece of gear leads to happy accidents and unique tones in its own way, which could be said of DAW work with a controller of course, but physical knobs and pads have an ambrosia to them even when they succ like the OP1

Yeah, I just see it as a much better mouse.
No fiddly assigning and anything can be controlled with a big great feeling knob instead of a mouse.

Plus once you stop the cursor you can have it automatically return to the control when you let go. So you can control it without looking or worrying about losing control.

There’s options for sliders or knobs and virtual or horizontal movement with the two switches on it. So it does what it’s suppose to depending on the e control. Sliders stay where you left it when you let go. Knobs return to the starting spot when you let go. It’s simple but genius.

I definitely found it’s better to have it next to your normal mouse and switch between them with the same hand.

Trying to use both hands is like that senior citizen who drives with two feet, confuses the pedals and slams through a crowd of people.

It’s just too easy to accidentally move both at the same time. Two hands trying to drive the same pointer doesn’t work :joy:

Still love it after having it a long time now though. It stays.

4 Likes

In my experience processing analog synth sounds yields better and sonically more pleasant results than a recorded vst synth.

My physicist mind atteibute that to the fact that an anaolg signal has real signal at all frequencies while vsts have regions of no-signals or random digital noise e.g. at frequncies above the sampling frequency.
This might seem stupid as we do not hear that, but when you process such a signal for instance with plugins that use fourier transforms, that shit creates more unwanted shit at other frequencies maybr in udible range (hard to predict what happens as we usually don’t know the details od the processing algorithm). These unwanted artifacts can create phase cancellations in the vst case while i suppose they create pleasant overtones fantasies on analog sounds sonce they are coming from real signal and not dogotal randomness.

This, to me, results in a more dull sound for vsts, with attacks and overtones that cannot compare to digital emulations. They go very close there anyways and I’m with you that if you use a real synth or a vst for a pad or a secondary background sound like a pad, nobody can tell the difference. But for a lead fat sound in the front…i think you can tell :wink:

Also other advantages: no latency, dawless, real knobs and no mouse, patching and syncing with other external devices etc.

1 Like

I’m not saying that soft synths don’t have a place in music, or that they shouldn’t be used. They’re just not my preference.

To me it’s kind of like sunlight versus LED lighting.

1 Like

Never heard a light analogy before in this type of conversation, interesting :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I can relate to this mostly psychological reasoning. Honestly, I love both and like to just have a blend of sound sources depending on whatever I’m feeling. At the moment I don’t currently own any analog gear so I just settle for samples of analog synths which works for me until I own one again.