Why buy a synthesizer when the app is just as good?

I just compared my analog synths, my digital synths, my computer VST’s, and my iOS apps.

I have come to the undeniable conclusion that they all make great sounds. Except for one of them. One of them is pretty dull. The others rock.

1 Like

Imo it‘s really hard to get a lively touch on your music if you’re only using VST. Of course you can draw perfect lines for automations but it‘ll never sound like an automation you play in yourself.

1 Like

I find it ridiculously easy to get a lively touch with all of them. I have to intentionally be less lively with my VST’s so it doesn’t hurt my analog gears feelings.

But I can understand how some can’t. That’s why it’s great to have so many options. Everyone can use what works best for them, because there is no one best.

There are so many midi controllers that accomplish this. It’s just not an argument anymore. I use both forms of synths, but I never draw in automation, I use knobs.

1 Like

recently bought an app to mimic certain hardware synth when i arrange tracks in a DAW :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

oh, and to steal some patch ideas for hardware synth, of course.

1 Like

Well fair point there:)
But still not quite sure if you can get the same type of relationship with a midi controller, but i never had a setup like this so i can‘t relate.
I think some instruments just have unique ideas behind them, so it might not be so easy to set this up via midi.

is there really anything more cohesive than a single instrument experience?

2 Likes

Midi is limited to 128 steps. Analog is completely stepless.

1 Like

I don’t worry so much about these little things honestly. I get smooth and responsive automation either way so it’s a non issue.

1 Like

Just saying, there is a fundamental difference and it’s sometimes noticeable.

I’m more into threesomes myself.

:grin:

When you excite an analog signal, modulate it through multiple thresholds, with rhythmic differentials, and smear it wake, the smooth; butter like textures behave like musical flesh excited to touch the air inside your ear hole.

Digital sounds can sound great, but it would require hours of programing to create a analog synth played with hands and ears.

And then there is the magic of the analog signal when delayed and reverberated. The thickness and depth is genuine as where in a digital simulation it is a parameter with a numeric values selected by an algorithm actuated by a controller signalling 1-127.

And analog synths are designed to sound digital. There is a reason yor VST sounds soo good, it’s the Moog sound. And it sounds better in analog.

When you excite an analog signal, modulate it through multiple thresholds, with rhythmic differentials, and smear it’s wake;the smooth, butter like textures behave like musical flesh excited to touch the air inside your ear hole.

Digital sounds can sound great, but limited on an purely musical level. Feedback and resonating frequencies can only be analog if they’re to be musical.

And then there is the magic of the analog signal when delayed and reverberated. The thickness and depth is genuine as where in a digital simulation it is a parameter with numeric values selected by an algorithm actuated by a controller signalling 1-127.

And analog synths are not designed to sound digital; there’s a direction to the flow of the river of inspiration.
The reason your VST sounds so good is because Moog synths sound so good.

And Moogs sound better in analog.

I’m about to find out about this, skipped on purchasing a used OT. Instead I’m going to try Drambo, wish me luck!

2 Likes

I think this thread will be better when a company will decide to sell ´digital pets’.
Obviously those digital pets will have lots of advantage versus real pets.
Less remote control destroyed, no more fear of being at home at 6pm and getting a poo into the living room…
Digital pets has so much to bring :wink:

Yes I see my Elektron and Analog gears a bit like pets :slight_smile:

Oh lol the obligatory Software as a Service Cloud account required for your e-dog :frowning:

1 Like

2 Likes

no