Will an external synth show up in Overbridge?

I have the Analog Four and am thinking about buying a Prophet 5 module. The P5 has audio outs and the A4 has audio ins, so I assume I can run the P5 through the A4. But I’m wondering how this gets implemented in Overbridge.

As well as the main L and R outs and the synth tracks of the A4, the Overbridge control panel lists two other channels labelled “Ext InL” and “Ext InR”. Would the P5 utilize these? I’m puzzled that the Overbridge GUI doesn’t mention “Ext InL” or “Ext InR” only the four synth tracks plus “FX” and “CV”.

My main question is, will the 4 synth tracks of the A4 plus the L and R outs of the P5 show up in Overbridge (at the same time)?

They will do, but…

What is annoying is that the External Inputs always go through the Main Stereo out too - you can’t route them not to.

So for example if I had a System 1m Synth module running through the external inputs, but if I want to record the wet FX from the A4 voices, I have to record the System 1m on that same track.

You can obviously get round it by muting/unmuting the external inputs and doing separate passes, but if like me you like to record live jams, for which OB is perfect, that is one slight drawback.

Thanks for your reply Alastair. I’m not sure I understand the bit about having to record the System 1m on the FX track. Could I have the A4 going through the four synth tracks in Overbridge, the Prophet 5 going through the “Ext InL” and “Ext InR” channels, mute the main stereo out so that the P5 isn’t going through that also, and have the FX going through the FX channel? Is this a way of simultaneously recording the four tracks of the A4, plus the P5, plus the FX - all on separate tracks in Abelton, and none doubled up?

No because the FX Track is just the main stereo out, that’s the problem, there isn’t a separate track in OB for the FX. You can mute the main stereo out and just record the External In L+R, but then you are muting the FX.

It’s a bit of a pain, but it’s the way it is and OB is still a big workflow enhancement IMO.

All possible minus the FX, as mentioned. But it’s more flexible to add your own FX in the daw anyway!

In one sense yes, but I do like the ability to p-lock the FX, plus I actually like the reverb on the A4

1 Like

Thanks Alastair and Anfim. Sorry for the delay in replying - it’s early morning in Australia.

I didn’t realise the connection between the main outs and the FX track - I’m clearer now. No doubt OB is the way it is due to bandwidth limitations. So it’s a matter of making a compromise at some point. I can still use the A4 reverb by recording separate passes (I agree the A4 reverb is great), or I can record live and use Ableton’s reverb or a plugin as Anfim suggests. I’ll experiment with both.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply guys … that’s very helpful information.