Will there be Octatrack MK3 anytime soon?

Lately they are just making stuff that supposedly sells a lot more. Its a business I guess

I think there are many (MANY) in the music making community who would insta click buy on an OT MK3 if it comes out like it is, but with 1. Overbridge, 2. 48 sample rate with better converters :)))

2 Likes

FTFY

Say what you want but the evidence speaks for itself.

OT3 would be massive buzz and sales. I think they don’t have it in them now though, like the original developers have jumped ship or something. The last 4 products have been recycled. I don’t think that would be the case if they had a bunch of talented designers on staff.

I doubt the brains behind Octatrack are now making the likes of the Model range and adding some FX onto Heat… super lame.

2 Likes

They have the license for the OT… they have overbridge, they have better converters… They are probably just waiting for the right time.

1 Like

Provocation! I like that approach :slight_smile:
Provoking elektron, insulting them by saying that basically only idiots remained and expecting them to prove us wrong :expressionless:

1 Like

They don’t read this shit

1 Like

What makes you think they’re not working on a new Octatrack or otherwise named flagship Dynamic Performance Sampler? We know they are developing a new platform for future hardware, maybe they want their most complicated device to use that when its ready instead of the old one they have been using for years that isn’t powerful enough to use a crossfader for midi ccs or visualize modulation and other modern luxuries

1 Like

I’m not so clued up, how do we know this?

OT refresh makes the most sense yes.

Even the Digitakt can be considered a recycled product, then we got M:S on top of that, an even more watered down version.

Hopefully they are still focused on a flagship.

Fin25 says Elektron doesn’t read along but we know better don’t we guys!

It’s just code for…

While there is an obvious shift in design philosophy for the Elektron team, I think it is vital to have some nuance on their current line of products.

The models are an obvious answer to the volcas and electribes 2 of Korg, which trade deeper functions and sound design for immediacy and intuitive play.

They are never meant to compete with the flagships in the same way that a volca FM from Korg will not compete with a Korg op-six.

Even Roland has now been doing its own Volca line with the Aira compact series.

I think the current Elektron sees their products in 4 seperate categories: the flagship which includes the AR4, rytm and Octa, the digitrio, the models, and the FX line.

Comparing something from one category to another is kind of pointless. Because they are obviously on different price range and have very different goals.

1 Like

There’s a little bit of a damned if they do damned if they don’t attitude - complaints lodged from every point of view about how they’re too complex or not complex enough, no mk3 or too many mks. They started out complex, needed simpler products, developed those, and they have both on the market. Now the more complex devices are old, and they will likely make new ones, still a little more streamlined probably (like the analogs), but they aren’t going to do that on outdated tech.

Redoing to be more precise. We already had the boutique situation going.

Elektron can take any punch. The proof is in the tanks they built. :slight_smile:

I think you are a bit harsh on this one.

The digitakt whole user interface and interactions between man-machine is very different from the octa and from the m:s. While in essence they are all Elektron sequencer with sample playing capacities, they play like very different instruments.

Think about the difference between a guitar, a ukulele and a sitar.

You could probably play Nirvana on all 3 of them but the sitar would be vastly more complex to play while the ukulele would be pretty easy (but would eventually offer much less complex harmonies because of it being only 4 strings and a shorter range of notes).

Is a ukulele a recycled sitar? Is the sitar a recycled guitar? Or are they 3 different instruments with their strengths and weaknesses?

1 Like

Makes me wonder, how easy is it to design something new with all the specifics?
I’m sure it’s easier said loosely, that even being said specifically. Actually designing it from beginning to end is certainly a massive task for a small team who works at Elektron.
I imagine a loose group of random people who would like to colab and design something “new” front to back would be extremely difficult.
Which brings me to wonder about the occasional desire to let the OT programming be released to the public.
Who would actually do something with that?
A random group of online strangers?
They are going to spend a lot of time compromising their desires to “simply re-code” the OT into something better?
Better how, specifically down to where and what the parameters do?

I’m all for people dreaming up these scenarios, I just have a hard time believing anyone would do that as opposed to releasing their own piece of hardware.

How many people actually bought OctaEdit and use it, and corresponded with Rusty?
Definitely some, but a whole lot?

I must admit that modern elektron stuff does give me a designed-by-shareholders-during-a-board-meeting vibe.

1 Like