Wobbly/dissonant delay when MIDI syncing via USB

When I sync the Model:Cycles to FL Studio via USB with FL Studio as the master, it all seems to work OK, but the delay goes all wobbly and dissonant. I notice the delay does this when you change the tempo manually, so I’m guessing it’s changing it’s tempo (or FL Studio is changing the tempo) in a way that is barely audible, but that is still causing this effect on the delay. How can I prevent this?

Elektrons seem very prone to MIDI jitter when synced from a DAW. You could try reversing it and syncing FL from the M:C.

Otherwise turn the delay off and add it in post if you can, that’s what I do.

1 Like

When midi synced, the tempo is interpolated and shouldn’t jump around.

You might see the tempo fluctuate on the display (like you see on many sequencers that calculate the tempo from an incoming clock), but the tempo will actually stay consistent.

Sounds pretty odd to me.

1 Like

As far as I know FL can’t act as a sync slave?

The tempo screen just says ‘EXT’ in the place where the BPM usually is when being run off the sync.

I’m using USB - could this be an issue?

…since all midi clocks show some jitter at the synced up external ends, this must be some fruity problem…cause i don’t experience this, when syncing models to ot’s or a daw like logic…
usb or pysical midi should make no difference here…

A bit more info on this: the same thing happens when syncing from Reason.

The problem with adding the delay in post is that I have different delay levels for each track, and all the tracks are merged into one stereo out.

Ah, ok! All Elektrons I´ve seen show Tempo when synced to midi clock, so I assumed it was the same with Models.

Hi!

I’ve got exactly the same wobbly delay issue when i sync my M:C (slave) to Kestep Pro (master).

Anyone have find a solution?