WoFI from Kiviak Instruments

Thanks! I appreciate the vote of confidence. And who knows? I might try my hand at it. I’m glad I didn’t go this year. But it wouldn’t be that much trouble for me to get out to Anaheim next year.

As for this one in particular, I’m pretty sure everyone who approaches the team at Superbooth will bring up their problems with proprietary cartridges. They did it on the stream.

Yeah, I get that he thinks it’s cool. But I don’t know man, Nintendo doesn’t even use cartridges anymore. They use good old micro SD cards that you can pick up everywhere.

bring back overpriced smart media cards of varying proprietary voltages, tell people it’s “vintage correct”, boom - smash hit.

1 Like

Shout out to Roland

2 Likes

*SP202 has entered the chat

2 Likes

Err

Which says a lot about his approach to product design, I’m afraid. I guess we’ll discover similarly questionable design choices in the rest of the product, too.

tonies for hipsters.

1 Like

In French.

2 Likes

Here’s the main points (from auto-translated captions):

• Overview:
    • Release via Kickstarter in October, available early 2024
    • € 600 - €800 (depending on success of Kickstarter)
    • 10 voice polyphonic mono-sampler (they don’t say how many voices, in the video you can hear only 2)
    • 48kHz, 16-bit sampler engine
    • “analog-style”, i.e. one function per knob, 90% of the functions are available with a dedicated control, the rest is available via shift, menu seems only for configuration
    • portable: 2.2kg, built-in-battery, lasts for 4 hours (charged via USB)
    • 100 MB of internal memory (18min, the cartridge can extend that, and it can stream directly from the cloud)
    • there will be a simple sample editor in the WOFI where you can set start and end, and normalize the sample
  • Connections
    • DIN-MIDI in/out/thru
    • CV/Gate: Gate in/out, CV in/out, mod out (whatever that is), you can route any parameter to CV
    • Audio in/out (2xStereo, 6.35mm TS)
    • USB: for power, MIDI, but no USB audio (yet) (he claims that is a problem because there is no standard, which is weird because there is class-compliant audio interfaces, but the translation may be off there). You can use USB for transferring samples apparently
    • Sync in/out
    • Headphone out (3.5mm TRS)
    • Speaker (“in case you forgot your headphones”)
    • microphone is for sampling (you can also sample through line-in, of course)
    • WiFi
    • card slot for custom cards (apparently they consider providing an adapter for SD cards in the future)
  • Sound (on the panel from left to right)
    • Emulation:
      • emulation is not aimed to be realistic, more like an effect
      • emulation has “presets” (e.g. some classic Japanese 8-bit and 12-bit samplers)
      • there are 5 parameters you can tweak to create your own effects (including sample rate and bit rate)
    • Samples can be pitched, stretched (IRCAM gave them a library for innovative time-stretching), there is a glitch control also
    • Play modes: one-shot, loop, reverse, “boomerang”
    • Envelope: ADSR, can be assigned to filter, amp, or both
    • Filter is digital (12 or 24db), not modeled after an existing filter
    • Texturer: is the granular effect (“granular shimmer”) with controls for grain size, grain density, effect depth, chaos is the grain stealing algorithm (starts with first-in-first-out, turning it up increases the randomness of stealing grains), mono or stereo
    • LFO (tri, pulse, saw), can be assigned to different parameters via learn, (one at a time), can be synced to clock
  • Sequencer
    • Monophonic 16-step sequencer
    • Recording via keyboard
    • button for tapping the tempo
    • Automation: sequence (multiple?) parameters
    • Start and end point can be changed in real-time
    • you can play over the sequencer
    • Piano-roll visualisation (of notes)
  • Cloud Platform:
    • cloud-platform for sharing sounds is free, and not mandatory
    • There will be premium content, but no subscription
    • a dedicated button to turn WiFi on and off
    • you can save samples and patches, there is versioning, and apparently no size-limit
    • direct streaming from cloud is possible
    • you can access the cloud directly from the device (also via hot-spot from your mobile, of course), but there will also be a web interface for the browser
  • The rest:
    • extensive midi and CV routing, filtering, and processing, they say it’s designed for easy integration into a modular setup
    • they showed a plugin version of the Texturer (with more features), available at Kickstarter launch as a reward for backers, and for sale for 50 Euros afterwards
    • they aim to create more plugins and hardware products

Edit: added infos from the rest of the video and from the second video below, mostly about cloud, price, emulation, USB,

3 Likes

From article :

Kiviak is open to making a large sampler in the future, a kind of WOFI Pro with more keys etc, if the WOFI becomes a success.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Then, the signal goes in a newly developed (no emulation) resonant state variable filter with 12dB/oct and 24dB/oct characteristics.

No emulation – does that mean analog ? It seems to, to me.

No, it means simply they did not model it after an existing filter. Can you imagine analog filters for 10 voices (according to the article) in a device for €600?

In the video you linked this morning he clearly says un filtre qui est numerique (“a digital filter”). In the new video he also says it’s digital

What is interesting about the new video is that apparently you can create your own sampler emulations. The sampler “emulations” have 5 parameters, including bit rate, sample rate, and they expose those parameters, so you can create your own effects. It’s a nice idea,

I find the limitation of the Texturer to 8 grains is a bit low, compared with other granular samplers. I think the GR-1 (~€850) can do about 1000 grains or so, and you can use it as an effect on external signals, too.

Edit: clarification about emulations.

When I found out about this, the proprietary cloud functionally made me standoffish. If it is not mandatory then I am all in on this.

Here’s a photo of the signal path, couldn’t get a better shot from the video:

I edited my description above with a few more details about the WOFI.

2 Likes

I’m confused at 10 note polyphony but a mono sequencer. But it’s past my bed time so maybe I’m just out of it. I’m intrigued, though. Especially for 600 bucks.

Hold my B-mulator II, when? :wink:

Are they working on an Emulator II clone? All I found in a quick search was rumours.

But now I wonder, is it possible to play the AR polyphonically via a Blokas Midihub using
the Dispatcher pipe and some “clever” programming? If all tracks were set up with an identical sound (same sample ans same parameter settings, and noise or nothing as analog machine), that would give you up to 12 8 voices with analog filters for ~€ 600 (used).

A pity I sold my AR for the Syntakt, so I don’t have an excuse to order a Midihub.

Edit: this is also possible with using a browser with midi dispatcher.