Would you benefit from ADAT outputs?

Considering the analog machines already have converters and USB audio I wonder if it would have been usefull to add an ADAT output.

An ADAT output could reduce cable clutter for thsoe with digital mixer when not using a computer and could be a less demanding way to send audio to the computer without the need of audio drivers and the CPU power it needs, increasing stability.

1 Like

Interesting question. As I’ve been looking at some of the Expert Sleepers stuff recently like the ES-3 and upcoming ES-8, I’ve been wondering why more gear doesn’t have ADAT connections. I’d actually be quite happy if they implemented ADAT ins and outs on an OT MK2.

Also, since you mentioned it, what ADAT-equipped digital mixer are you using? I looked into those recently, but it seemed like everything I came across was well into the $2000 range.

are you talking about TOSLINK or SPDIF?

toslink is a pain in the ass and the cables can literally break and shatter if you dont baby them

not using one at the moment, but I would ahve consider it if more equipment used ADAT.

I use an RME fireface and it has an ADAT input which could be useful.

I am talking about toslink (glass fiber isnt it?). I have not used them extensevly since the connection isn’t that popular but the few times it seemed fine.

yeh man those cables dont bend… they break - like glass… plus the connection ports can be iffy depending on the device - if it doesnt plug in snugly enough, which varies according to cable, device etc. there is jitter because its fiber optic and therefore transmits data through light - in other words, if ambient light gets in there it causes problems, or if the light isnt properly aligned with the input/output, etc

toslink was a nightmare for me in the studio… YMMV i guess but im glad to be rid of it

I agree that optical cables break easily. Also the optical ports have those awkward doors that are usually cheap pieces of plastic, and once the plastic door breaks off, you’re screwed.

Nonetheless, an ADAT connection is always welcome in my book. Better to have one than not. As a matter of fact, I’d really love if someone made an ADAT-only input box for iOS so I could connect my Midas into my iPad without investing into redundant and large-sized audiointerfaces I otherwise have no need for

ADAT seemd like a good idea until you realize that with ADAT you’ll need a single master clock…

yeh theres a reason toslink ADAT connections arent being used much anymore… its just not practical enough at the prosumer level…

and dont start expecting them to come back, either

So you guys think it’s a dying tech then?

ADAT Lightpipe will continue to work just fine and is a nice way to add 8 ins and/or outs to an existing audio interface.