Xone 96 Mixer

Correct, I record all channels pre-eq and master. If I want a quick “live” recording I just use master, and maybe apply a bit of compression or EQ in the DAW.

If I want to convert this into a full song (I haven’t done it yet, but I am planning), I will record the delay again (I can still use the master for reference) and either sum everything on the xone or in the DAW.

I’ll update you as soon as I get there.

Or if I am not using one of the synths for a song I could just swap a mono synth for the delay, which would be recorded then.

and which cable you use for mono synths : 1 mono to Stereo-RCA ?
channel D is unused, correct ?

Channels ABCD have two mono jack 6.3 inputs (L+R).
They allow using a single mono jack and it will be spread in stereo.

Channels 1-4 have RCA inputs, for them you need a stereo jack to RCA cable, like this:

Channel D is unused. To be clear, channels B and C are not recorded via USB, but they end up in the master track. I don’t really use the Pocket Operator very much, but it being in channel C means I can easily cue it in my headphones and sample it with the Digitakt, for example.

awesome use of setup, i will scratch my head and gather some funds :wink:
for same money as 96 i can get a decent studio mixer with many inputs/ outputs + analog heat + delay unit :wink:

i am using xone k2 to mix in traktor internally, so i don’t really need a dj mixer… however this one is really nice…

what are your biggest regrets for your setup ?

p.s. tascam model 12/24 (heavy) zoom 12L are on my list (no channel eq under hand)

I was very close to buying the tascam or the L16. They are less than half the price of the xone 96.
I think they have some major PROs, like more channels and flexibility.

On the other hand, I have read many reviews of people having theirs breaking, and that made me a bit uneasy about their reliability.

I don’t plan on DJing soon, but I like that the Xone 96 can be used for that, including the multiple phones outputs, the XY fader, double USB (I can do a live set and a friend of mine can join to do some DJing after that).

I do not have real regrets because I knew well what I was buying, but I wish Allen & Heath had included:

• XY switch for channels A and B
  • USB recording channels A and B rather than sends 1 and 2
  • Channel inserts
  • Option to record individual channels post-eq and post fader.

Having said all of this, I LOVE the sound of the preamps, EQ and filters, and it is very sturdy and yet portable. (The tascam 24 would be challenging to move)

1 Like

very clear answer…
why do you want * XY switch for channels A and B ?
what is the use of crossfader anyway in your setup ?

when you play you keep your faders at 0 or +10 ?

I’d like XY switch on A and B because I am basically using A and B like they were channels 5 and 6.
XY crossfader is for removing drums and bass and then having them back again, or moving from, for example, Digitakt + mother 32 to DFAM + subharmonicon.

I have not mastered yet how to level sound between the source (the synth volume), the gain knob and the faders. I like to just push the fader quickly to 10 while performing, because 10 is a physical stop, while you have to aim for 0.

On the other hand, if you keep them at 0, you still have headroom to push them a bit over, in certain situations.

I am very open to learning and suggestions in this area.

1 Like

Hi everybody,
I bought my brand new Xone96 just some day ago!
I noticed that if i switch the input selector to Phono it’s still audible (at very very lower level) what is playing in Line (on the same channel of course ). This ONLY happens when rca phono inputs are free (no turntable or rca caps supplied with the mixer connected).
Is that normal?
Thanks in advance

Don’t know. But when is this ever going to be a problem in real use?

1 Like

Hey dtr thanks for replying; of course this would not be a real problem but i’m just curious to know if it’s a common behavior on this mixer or an unusual one…
Considering its price i wish it was flawless

I d try it out but i m not near my gear for at least a week more.

No probs dtr just when you do it let me know, thanks in advance

Can confirm small bleed. But not really disturbing for my purposes.

1 Like

Thank you mar.beso! Yep it’s really small, looks at same level of mine

Think most dj mixers ive had have had a little bleed on inputs. Not really an issue as you dont need to play into line in if using a phono input. One or the other .

Then itll be totally silent.

1 Like

Hello everyone ! I noticed some light noise from filters resonance on my 96 in this way;
Filter ON,
HPF active,
Frequency sweep knob all the way to the left;
Moving the resonance knob is audible from Master bus a kind of hiss / crackling; this is audible just with no (or almost not) audioplayback as the level (tried recording via USB or Rca and setting at 0db) is around -35 / - 40db so it is easily totally overtaken by the audio signal.
The problem disappears putting the sweep knob from the 2nd scale dot onwards (going clockwise)
It happens only with HPF active and it’s about both
1 and 2 filter but on filter 1 is a little stronger.
It’s pre fader/gain so it doesn’t matter their level or if any channel is assigned to filter

Can someone check this out?
Summing up:
just turning really up the master volume,
No music playback,
filter ON with HPF active ,
Freq sweep knob all the way to the left and moving the resonance knob

Thanks in advance

Just tried it out on mine, no audio coming through, all channel faders down.

I hear no hiss or crackling with them on the open position (completely counter-clockwise), if I sweep across the range I get a resonance tone starting from the 3rd smaller dot, getting very noticeable resonance noise (windy noise) from the 4th smaller and increasingly noticeable when closing the HPF filter to the most clockwise position. Happens on both filter 1 and 2.

Hello Victor and thanks for answering, maybe i missed your point
It happens when i turn the resonance knob keeping still the sweep knob on the smaller dot. Did you try that too?
Does not matter if faders are down or if some channel is assigned to filter, the most important thing is master knob up, filter ON and Hpf active.

This is a video showing the problem, the audio is recorded via usb and setted at 0 db; at the end there’s some audioplayback to compare the music/“noise” ratio