Xone 96 Mixer

Well, a small hiss, maybe?! It´s really, really suttle and everything is cranked up!

1 Like

Aha! Now I get what you meant, yes, I get the same noise, a “scratching” sound when I sweep the resonance knob with the filter between the first and second dot, it disappears completely after the 2nd dot.

Yes, exactly! I suppose it’s normal then. I was a bit worried about it since a user on Facebook 96 group had a kind of same thing, (probably at higher level) so he sent it back under warranty and actually turned out faulty on filter.

Thanks for your feedback, greetings from Italy :slight_smile:

Do I understand correctly that you can not record Channel A and B?

I have some effects on Send 1 and Send 2, and would like to record the audio after the effects.

Record where? If you mix in A and B it will be on the master out (and its duplicates: USB 11/12, record, booth, etc)

However, A and B have no USB inputs associated. Meaning you can’ t record the analog inputs from those channels in DAW separately. But you can send USB audio from DAW into the channels. Asymmetric and a bit confusing at first.

You are correct, but you can record Send 1 (and Send 2 if you do not record master).

One trick I use, if you do not use two sends, is to use Send 2 to go into the effect, then I come back on Channel A. Then I send Channel A to Send 1, which does get recorded.

1 Like

Yeah I personally don’t understand this design, but I guess it has to something with the usecase when you want to use your computer as a send&return effect.

I agree, it does not make sense to record the Sends. I already have channels 1-4, the sends would just be a sum of some of those, right? Maybe we could see if they can fix this with a firmware update…

1 Like

Hmm?
It’s not only for recording but to send audio to your computer, process it with fx and then return it to channel A/B.

Additionally you can record vocals with it this way by sending track A for example. So quite handy for studio work as well. Basically you can either use it as send / return with fx in your computer. Or add channel A+B giving you 6 channels in your daw in stead of just 4. Pretty useful :wink:

1 Like

Right, you have explained it well.
I guess our complaint is that it does not cover the case you want to use the sends/returns and record the returns (aka the effects).

Don’t get me wrong, I am still a very happy user of it, but I wish I could choose to record the returns rather than the sends.

1 Like

I´m not optimistic that this might be “fixable” in a firmware, since there wouldn´t be any way to select wether you´d like to record the sends or the returns.

A workaround: You could use headphones cue 1 or 2 out into the fx chain, back into return A. Then use send A on channel A to send its signal to your DAW.

Sadly none of these routing workarounds are available when all inputs and outputs are in use… I have 2 FX boxes on sends 1 and 2 returning on A and B. Just have C and D free but those don’t help. Cue/monitor out 1 is also in use as a 3rd FX send.

True. But you are then using the mixer to its fullest and definitely touching its limits. Very nice by the way :slight_smile:

It’s designed primarily as a DJ mixer with traditional setups, Traktor, back2back and club setups in mind. So in that light it does make sense how it works.

2 Likes

Sure. I knew this when I got it. Multitracking is only a bonus that I might wanna use in the future.

1 Like

Pair 96 with a good multichannel audio interface and you can be as flexible as you like :wink:

1 Like

I have several motu’s but how would you suggest hooking it up then?

Hi guys,

short question for you xone 96 owners

I read in the manual:
Four stereo input channels with refined XONE 4-BAND EQ
Two stereo input channels with new 3-BAND parametric EQ for detailed creative control + two auxiliary stereo return channels

So do in interpret correctly that the xone 96 has 6 stereo inputs, AND 2 stereo sends/returns, AND a master insert?

(I only see 4 channel faders on the front, not 6 like the model 1)

I’m looking for a mixer that can acoomodate 6 stereo synths/inputs, and also has 2x stereo send/return (1 for stereo reverb pedal and 1 for stereo delay pedal)

Thanks!

It has the 4 main channels, 1-4.
Then there are 4 more stereo channels, A-D.
A and B have the channel strips with 3 band EQ (on the left hand side of the mixer) and C and D are basic channels (just volume control).
So you have 8 stereo channels total.

Wow thats cool, so if you dont mind not having eq on the fx send/return you have 6 stereo channels with eq and faders? Awesome