Xone 96 Mixer

How did you solve the pan problem?

I havenā€™t reallyā€¦ but itā€™s not that much of an issue.

Most devices Iā€™m running into the Xone 96 have their own pan controls, and if they donā€™t (my Peak and Rev2 spring to mindā€¦) I wait until Iā€™ve recorded them and pan them later if I need to (in Ableton or Logic).

1 Like

Cant you just turn down input gain knob on back of Yamaha HS7ā€™s ?

1 Like

I did do eventuallyā€¦ I just get OCD about them being at the same volume, and as the level controls on the HS7ā€™s are variable, it still makes me uneasy thinking theyā€™re not 100% balanced (which pretty much doesnā€™t exist anyway :upside_down_face:)ā€¦ but, yes, I solved that one.

LOLā€¦

I just set mine by eye to the same point and then never touch them.

Run dj mixer at normal input levels with main output at max position on mixer. Turn speakers up to the loudest ill ever want to mix at and leave the speakers gain there. Then i can use mixer main out depending on time of day/loudness I want. Dont think my speakers gain changed in 5 yrs lol.

2 Likes

I want to add a master buss compressor between my mixer and the speakers. What would be the best way to plug it to the Xone 96? I can see the following options (the compressor has balanced in/outs):

1. Use the master inserts: master send (2 balanced jack to XLR into the compressor, and 2 cables back into the master return). In this case, how do I control the volume of the signal coming out of the master sends? I think the master inserts only apply to the master 1 output?
  2. Master outputs (1 or 2) into the compressor, and then compressor into the speakers/amplifier

What would be the advantage of using the master inserts?
Thanks

Hi Lordalcol,

from the manual I read that the master insert applies only to the Master 1 output and that signal is constant at -2 dBu. You should then adjust the compressor input gain.

I think this is the best option since having a constant output allows you to adjust the effect parameters without running the risk of changing the volume of the master from the mixer.

1 Like

Master inserts works fine if you want it going to the speakers.

I think the only issue is when you try and record the master mix out via USB because it sends pre-inserts.

Iā€™ve just set mine up in my new space, after using a cheap Behringer Xenyx for a couple of weeks (which really isnā€™t bad for the money either), and Iā€™m instantly reminded how good the Xone 96 sounds.
Itā€™s just such a good unit. :heart_eyes:

Use master inserts as youll get the metering on mixer post compressor.

If you want to record post comp/master insert you have to use the record out or booth out connections. Recording using USB master is pre master insert.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an error in the manual. Mix 2 defo has my insert compressor on it. Just checked in the manual. It indeed wrongly states this on page 22. Though in the diagram on page 34 it can be seen that mix 1 and 2 receive the exact same signal, with insert fx.

I see that the record outs have a (I presume) internal jumper for selecting pre or post insert. If only they had done the same for the USB send!

2 Likes

Or master/mix 1 or 2.

I have booth going to my monitors and mix 2 to audio interface for recording. When gigging mix 1 goes to the PA.

2 Likes

You guys are fantastic! A lot of great information here. Did I get it right? Can you confirm that booth out and record out also are post master inserts?

1 Like

perfect, thanks for pointing out! what about the phones 2 output instead? is it just pre fader right?

That s correct.

If you want a master output not affected by the master 1 or 2 level knobs you can use either record out or phones 2. These are post master insert and pre fader (knob really).

Presumably also the audio sync out minijack but it s unclear in the manual whether that s pre or post insert.

Keep in mind that the insert is before the master level controls, and thus not affected by them.

1 Like

ok, I would like to use the phones 2 output for the second send for effects and I was wondering if it was just pre-fader. The manual does not mention it.

Yehā€¦thisā€¦

Basically all outs on back of mixer.

Yeh i use record out so its at full signal levelā€¦monitors hooked up to main output controlled by knob

Yes, if you re selecting an individual channel on it it s also pre fader. When you think about its main purpose as a dj mixer this is logical. The selector is for which channel gets pre listened to on headphones for beat matching etc.

1 Like

I was experimenting with the Xone 96 filters over the weekend and found 2 new jobs for it that sounded great.

1. Using it as a full range saturator/mastering toolā€¦ selecting/activating HPF/BPF/LPF together and bringing the crunch up to suit, it letā€™s you keep the effect quite subtle, or dial more in to make it obvious. You can also add some sparkle/presence by increasing the resonance and tuning the filter freq. Sounded great on some hip hop mixes I was running through it.

2. Replacing a synth filterā€¦ I ran my Moog Sub37 through itā€™s own channel on the X96. I kept the filter fully open on the Sub37 and used the X96ā€™s LPF instead. It sounds fantastic! It has a real character to it thatā€™s quite different to the Moogs. Obviously you lose the filter envelope capability, but I left that to my left hand and did it manually.

Apologies if this is old news, itā€™s new to me! I donā€™t come from a DJ background, so the Xone 96 is a relatively new approach for meā€¦ but Iā€™m amazed more people arenā€™t using DJ mixers in a studio settingā€¦ theyā€™re like the perfect stereo line mixers!

6 Likes