Xone 96 Mixer

I just traded my Xone 96 for a Xone 95. The Xone 95 is way better for throwing in the trash. Hold onto your Xone 96 people. That one is something.

Man this thread is about the Xone 96, not the 95. I think you need to find another place for this.

What channels are you returning onto?

You could rule the pedal out by just sending straight from sends out back into mixer returns.

Try sending from send out 1 and 2 > Any known working mixer channel. See if it shows up returning there. Then you will know if it is actually sending out.

After that check the returns C and D by doing the same. Make sure C and D on/off switch is pressed and volume up.

Tried that and no sound out of the sends… thanks for the tip!

Damm. Good luck getting it fixed.

1 Like

While my Xone 96 is getting fixed, I received a Xone 92 as a loaner from Thomann (great service!), they have no 96 in stock.

I come here to say: I’m glad for the 96. Not only the 2 extra returns (I need them), but the Master insert also (loved by my Analog Heaht), and USB (which my iPad adores) the 96 feels so much better for me:

• Faders and crossfader feel way better
  • Meters feel better to me
  • The filters on the 92 (on top of documented pop sound when engaged, but that didn’t disturb me so far) change the sound already even when the cutoff is at the end of its course. On the 96 I feel I can engage the filter, and don’t lose bass or hi frequencies if the cutoff is set to its extreme
  • More real estate, better knobs on the 96

Makes me glad about the 96. The only downside of the 96 is the heat. It gets really warm! The 92 not so. Made me think and I assume it’s the “computer” inside, needed for USB connection but not sure.

4 Likes

Wow, I never even considered putting an AH on the master insert. Now I need that.

1 Like

Haha, secret sauce!

I really feel for my Xone 96! Using the 92 feels so much like a downgrade. I feel the 96 sounds better, the filters for sure, and somehow it feels overall way better to me. Can’t wait to get it back :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah the 96 really is heaps better. Despite some people clinging on the 92 like it’s the ultimate piece of gear ever made. Got many comments on my comparison video that I was biased about the 96. While in fact the 96 is just that much better :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Agreed. I didn’t plan that conclusion, just had a direct experience out of bad luck. I can still jam and be happy but I didn’t expect missing my 96 so much. Anyway, the 92 is a fine piece of equipment and would there be only it, I would be very happy as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Certainly, 92 is still a great mixer as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Don’t dismiss the Xone 95 so quick. Check out the reviews on this bad boy.

1 Like

hu?

There is no Xone 95.

Here the current xones -

https://www.allen-heath.com/dj-products/

buckets-swish

1 Like

@amaury Agree with preferring the 96 over the 92, and this in many regards, except the LFOs in the filters, hence even bringing it to venues who can’t provide a 96. It’s the centerpiece in my studio, for DJ, and live sets. You mentioned that you’re using the Analog Heat in the Master Insert, can you let me know how you’re setting up the Analog Heat for that? I recently purchased one, and just gave it a try in the studio. My question is more related to proper leveling, as the Master Volume drops when using the Heat at a dry-wet level of 0, and only goes back to the same level as without the Heat inserted when setting up the dry-wet mix up to max 63. Might use it for my next gig with a rather modest setting, but from what I can say/hear via my headphones, it certainly adds some crispness. Just not sure how this will translate on a club sound system.

2 Likes

Actually I haven’t explored the level question too deep as I’m using that home and adjust levels of my monitoring to taste, but I did notice that the signal isn’t very hot indeed. As input sensitivity I try to keep the heat at high, and am careful that it doesn’t clip on the input, but even then, the output with no drive is pretty quiet.

I mean, recording into the computer I’m coming at around -12dB, which is great when recording individual parts. For a stereo capture, less ideal but then I take care of it in post.

Would I have to play gigs with the setup that would become a concern. Let me know what you find, and sorry not to be able to help more.

Such a beautiful piece of equipment! It’s also the center of my music making nowadays.

1 Like

Thanks for the immediate feedback. As noticed in another Analog Heat related thread, I switched cables to balanced ones, and it adds substantially, so I achieve a decent amount of level at the Master Out, even setting the dry-wet to 0, and which shouldn’t affect the overall volume in the club. I might simply adjust on the fly during soundcheck and see if I’ll be using it or not.

FYI, I am having the input sensitivity set to low, as signals are coming in rather hot already at 12 o’clock Gain setting. One issue remains, ideally the output level reflects the input level to be somehow balanced, but that drops the volume again, so it seems that I have to keep the output volume in the preset set to max, the Master Volume on the Heat is set to max at all times. To round this up, mine is the MK2 version, can’t confirm but read that it might make a difference as well.

Alternatively, I might switch back to use the Heat in a different way, by using it inside Send 1, and adding more distortion, before sending in to Send 2, which hosts a delay / reverb.

1 Like

Fascinating that balanced cables adds gain, I thought it wasn’t about that but only affected interferences. I may try. Thanks for sharing! Please keep sharing your findings.