Xone 96 Mixer

Just wanted to say thank you for how much detail you share here on nauts. I learn a lot from you and your posts always give me interesting new ideas.

Damm ā€¦yehā€¦glad i got it when first came outā€¦think was Ā£1300. Now Ā£1700

Cheers for explaining @DaveMech
Iā€™ll be curious to hear from your experience how it is in practice - but I guess itā€™s the other way around, you just make things work instead of wait until thereā€™s the perfect thing:)

1 Like

Ever toss around the idea of throwing Loopy Pro on the end of one of the USB ports? Itā€™ll easily do the looping and routing youā€™re looking for, and iPads on the usb sends of the 96 are pretty funā€¦. (I dunno how anti-software you are for your sets)

2 Likes

Yeah definitely going to play around with thatā€™s Iā€™ve got an ipad so curious to try that out and see how the latency is etc. Also as an FX return maybe. In stead of pedals. Would make for a pretty powerful package. :slight_smile:
Thanks for the app suggestion. Will have a look!

Happy to share!
Yeah true that is indeed it. And I do believe thereā€™s always an upside to be found in quirky solutions. Things you couldnā€™t do otherwise with more conventional methods.

1 Like

Why?! (Didnā€™t I order as I was thinking to do so one week ago for 1800ā‚¬)

Yeah itā€™s insane. You can try emailing them. I got a better offer because of that as other shops offer it at 1900.
This is such a huge increase that the supply chain must have hit a major problem or somethingā€¦ Very unfortunate turn of events.

Itā€™s cheaper @ Juno Ā£1599, and in stock. Ā£1800 from Thomann seems a lot!
Not sure about Euroā€™s/shipping etc.

@DaveMech I thought waiting might help but guess not. Thanks for the tip for emailing them!

@Native_Layer I saw the juno priceā€¦with shipping to Belgium itā€™s somewhere between 1900 and 1950ā‚¬. Might consider that option now the price of thomann has gone to absolutely ridiculous. Thx for the tip as well!

At the moment Iā€™m waiting for a response from a Belgian retailer, hoping for a better offer :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hello guys

I just got a 96 for a live gig, IĀ“m a bit confused with the A-B channels

I just want to know if it is possible to use them to plug in my 2 TB303 as I used to do on the 92 ( the 92 had 2 line input on the aux ch that allow me to use the L/mono inputs for each 303

However I donĀ“t understand how to do this on the 96, or if itĀ“s even possible

The rest of the channels 1-4 are already on use with other machines,

I donĀ“t want to use the usb part of the 96 for record to a computer. I just want to be able to use inputs A-B to plug in my 303 and play the gig as I used to do with the 92

Any info would be greatly appreciated

thanks

If im understanding correctly, it should work just fine. Just plug the 303s into the inputs labeled RTN A and RTN B, then make sure the switch above the gain pot is set to RTN A and RTN B

Thanks a lot Joelissimoā€¦ you are right, it works just fine

then, if I understood correctly what I read here, I can also add machines on return C-D? only that there are no EQ in this two,? also, would have to be either synths or drum machines, but no fx? as I donĀ“see how to send the fx signal to the other channels ?

thanks again:)

You are welcome, you could add more synths and drum machines to C and D but you get no eq, no filter and cant use the sends on C or D, I think it is meant purely for fx, as you can use channels 1-4 and A and B for instruments then use the sends routed to fx pedals which then go back into returns C and D

OK let me see if I understood this right

I donĀ“t really need to add more machines to C or D, but yes I would rather use them for FX

If I can use returns C-D for FXā€¦ then the sends should be A-B? this way I can route the fx on C-D returns via A-B sends to channels 1-4?

that would be awesome

The sends are just outputs that can output a portion of all the channels depending on how much the send knob is turned up.

So say you want to use A,B,1-4 for instruments and want a delay on some of the instruments, you would use one of the sends, for example send 1 which has outputs on the back of the mixer to plug that to the input of a delay, then plug the output of the delay to the return C input.

Only channels with the send 1 knob turned up will go to the delay and the amount on each channel willl be controlled by the send 1 knob of each channel. The fx is then added to the main mix alongside all the synths etc. Then you can do the same with a reverb or whatever and send 2 and return D.

All right :slight_smile:

Again, thanks a lot, as I`m trying to use a more compact/portable setup for clubs with smaller booths and use the large multitrack one (Midas 240) for stage in festivals etc , this solution is perfect for thisā€¦

Greatly appreciated :wink:

After waiting for 3 months (I was able to get it for the old price, so worth the wait) I finally got the 96 today.
Iā€™ve only had it out of the box for a few minutes and didnā€™t even switched it on, before I ended up getting it back in to the box.

As you can see in the video the channel 4 fader has a click in it just before itā€™s all the way down.

I also find that all faders felt different. Ch1 and crossfader were smooth, Ch2 and 3 actually felt like you couldnā€™t do a fast action on it . Do they loosen up after getting used for a while or is this just how they are?

I was also surprised by the plastic feel of everything. I expected the knobs and buttons to be more rubbery I guess. Buttons from filters and cueā€™s didnā€™t feel like they were positioned totally straight, which made pushing them a bit awkward.

Iā€™m wondering if this is bad luck and that I got one that slipped through quality control that just wasnā€™t manufactured to the standard or is this just how they are? (apart from the ch4 fader off course)

Iā€™ve send this one back and Iā€™m waiting for a replacement. Hopefully the next one will live up to the acclaimed ā€œhighā€ standardā€¦for now I can only think Iā€™ll have to adjust to it, because it sure doesnā€™t have the quality feel my 20year old Rane ttm56 hasā€¦

1 Like

Soā€¦just unpacked the new 96.

Iā€™ve already received it 5 days ago, but I was so disappointed with the 1st one that I really had a lot of doubts about opening the box.
I was looking for other options(SSL big six), but in the end I think this is the one that suits me the best for studio and live performance.

Iā€™ve only hooked up DN just to fire it up and play some sounds through it, so canā€™t say much about it.

Thereā€™s just one thing that I think is weird:
On the previous one all faders felt differentā€¦one was really loose while on the others you had to use some force to move them and one was really bad. Knobs had a plastic feel and were slipperyā€¦
The one I have nowā€¦faders feel +/- all the same and are smooth. Knobs are rubbery and not slippery at all.

Seems like with this one everything is more or less like expected, so Iā€™m gonna keep it and hopefully it brings something extra to the workflow and lasts a long time.

(only thing left: I really hope Elektron isnā€™t bringing a mixer to Namm 2023 that is better featured than the 96 because than I might have to sell this one :upside_down_face:)

2 Likes

Glad to hear you got there in the end, and reading your earlier post it seems you got a dodgy one first time around.

1 Like