Xone 96 Mixer

Thanks for the hint, Dave. Gonna contact A&H about this.

1 Like

Sorry itā€™s early and I might need more coffee, but Iā€™m not following this. Can you explain the limitation to your use case?

Iā€™m considering a Xone96 but after reading this thread Iā€™m now looking at the Big Six since itā€™ll be a studio device.

And knowing what yā€™all paid for your Xones is depressing. Itā€™s $2,499 in the US now! And all the used ones are reflecting that price even though theyā€™re from 2018. (sigh)

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

The thing to realize is that the sound cards of xone 96 work like this:

From xone 96 to computer it sends the analog inputs, send 1 and Master out or Send 2.

From computer to Xone 96 it sends up to 12 channels (6 stereo channels) to the xone which you can select as input on channels A, B, and 1 - 4.

So you cannot send channel outputs to the computer like you can with big six (which also offer pre/post fader). It only sends the analog inputs directly to the computer.

Itā€™s a DJ mixer first and foremost so the way it is implemented makes total sense. (E.g. Send analog input 1 to computer, through fx in Ableton, send back to channel 1 on xone)

Hope that makes sense.

3 Likes

This has been sitting here at this (low) price forever. I also have been slightly fainting everytime I go to purchase it, but Iā€™m gonna pinch my nose and eat my vegetables (that price tag):

Oh wow, yeah, I paid like 1600 euros 2 or 3 years ago, itā€™s 2300 euros at Thomann here in Germany.

I LOVE that mixer. I havenā€™t used it as a soundcard much yet but intend to start and I started experimenting. An idea being to jam my tracks, once kind of arranged and mixed in Live, sending up to 6 buses and jamming with the material, recording the output (for styles like techno, electro etcā€¦ not too complex music).

Also, I had an epiphany when I plugged my iPad pro to USB 2, and got the MIDI from it on the MIDI output of the Xone, feeding my MIDIhub to reach all of my other gear - could control my Nord Drum 3P with Patterning, with no computer involved.

Just sharing some love :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah, iā€™m kicking myself for balking at that ~1799US price a couple years ago, but almost 500 off here, i might as well before i kick myself a 2nd time. I can get that loot back if its not for me, although this used market does kinda blow right nowā€¦

iā€™m literally gonna pull that trigger in an ourā€¦lets see if it actually goes through. I canā€™t imagine theyā€™d have a price error for months and months on this itemā€¦

Yeah I understandā€¦ $2000 isnā€™t that bad, consideringā€¦ Good luck with your decision!

That makes total sense now, after my second cup of :coffee:

Now the internal debate begins, Xone 96 or Big Six. The Big Six is more flexible and probably better suited to my current workflow, but my 20 year old self is pulling me towards the DJ mixer.

2 Likes

It is that bad! Its a f*cking DJ mixer, not a Neveā€¦

1 Like

If you add shipping and import tax, itā€™ll be closer to $2300. There are dealers in the US that will do $2200-ish with free shipping and no tax. I think Iā€™d prefer to order from US in case it needs to be shipped back for warranty purposes.

Fair point. Itā€™s part of my internal debate about this vs the Big Six, which as of yesterday was on sale for $2500.

I do have to counter this point a bit because in my opinion it is really not that bad.

Which Neve can you get for 2300?

The 96 is an 8 stereo channel mixer with 2 stereo sends, 2 stereo filters, dual cues, and two audio interfaces.

It is really not that bad when comparing it to ā€œnormalā€ mixers. Once you start searching for mixers with that many stereo channels and two stereo sends, youā€™ll get into much higher price ranges and / or gigantic mixers.

Big Six is kind of in the same ballpark but it is much bigger, only has 4 stereo channels, and much less flexible eqing.

Sure, it was 1800 before. And thatā€™s actually a very good price point. 2300 is on the high side but in the current climate this is not very surprising.

Now, when we look at the pioneer djm 900 nexus stuff and the price of that thing, that is truly overpriced Imho.

2 Likes

I would add that Iā€™d take the 96 any day vs a more ā€œstudioā€ mixer. I love the way it invitĆ©s to jam with the faders, DJ Eqs and filters.

Not the same use. But for me itā€™s perfect, and it sounds brilliant!

1 Like

its not about a neve in perticularā€¦iā€™m just making a point of the DJ version of the ā€˜apple taxā€™ (would this be a pioneer tax?)

DJ mixers are just ridiculously overpriced for what they areā€¦

i mean this this only went up like 700$ since its been releasedā€¦and there hasnt been 700$ of improvementsā€¦

As I explained, in the case of Xone I disagree.

There is no equivalent normal analog mixer with those specs for that price.

The price hike is across almost every piece of gear. It sucks yeah.

its not exactly a normal dj mixer eitherā€¦so i get itā€¦
its just not really worth 2400 imhoā€¦

ordered it regardlessā€¦

I understand that it feels overpriced and donā€™t want to get into a petty argument or something. But really, have you tried to find an equivalent that is cheaper?

As far as I know it does not exist.

The same discussion has been had about the analog heat. And the same applies there as well.

Looking at the specs it is not that overpriced. :man_shrugging:

Pioneer is, but thatā€™s also just my opinion. Hehe

3 Likes

Yeahā€¦im not crying about the price by any means. it is what it isā€¦i mean i just ordered a new one for $2050ā€¦so not even full priceā€¦

Iā€™ve weighed some other options, but i need the 2nd usb port, otherwise a px5 or something else would have been fine, and iā€™m not even gonna entertain the idea of the mp2015 pricesā€¦

The other thing that is forcing my hand is this is a bit easer to throw on a rider.

but i shouldnā€™t be caring if iā€™m spilling beer on my dj mixerā€¦difficult to do with this oneā€¦

But as long as iā€™ve been buying A and H (i think my 1st was my xone464), they;ve always struck me as over pricedā€¦but againā€¦all DJ stuff is to me :wink:
But they know they can, so they do. I just need to buy stock in Audiotonix :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Do the smart thing.
Get both. :wave::partying_face:

A philosophy Iā€™ve grown to love while devouring modular gear. Iā€™m in a better place now, at least I keep telling myself that.

I think Iā€™m going Xone 96. Thereā€™s a fun factor there that canā€™t be ignored.

1 Like

Iā€™m seeking a new DJ mixer for a turntable setup, and was added to the Mastersound Radius 4 Valve wait list. However, the XONE:96 is rather tempting and might cause me to pivot. Its been one of my favorite mixers since entering the market.