YATAMaAI (Yet Another Thread About Mixers and Audio Interfaces!)

Okay so I know there are one zillion thread about mixers and audio interfaces, but I’m curious…

How many of you run your synths and other noisemakers into your audio interface and then, from the audio interface, reroute each input to a dedicated output that then goes to the mixer for monitoring and outboard processing? I.e., you capture each signal directly to your computer (to be recorded by your DAW, presumably), but monitor/mix using an outboard mixer?

I have an 8in/out interface. I currently run a bunch of stuff into a mixer and capture the stereo output of the mixer with the interface. But recently I thought it might be cool/more flexible to capture each signal directly with the interface, yet still monitor and mix with the outboard stuff (compressor, reverb, etc). I am currently only using 6 inputs to my mixer, so I could instead send these directly to my DAW, send them back out to the mixer for monitoring, and then also capture the stereo signal in my DAW that I’ve mixed using the outboard setup.

I feel like this would give me flexibility for in-the-box mixing (since I’m capturing each signal/synth on its own), in the event I don’t like something about the outboard mix.

Does anyone else do this?

Depending on if you have the gear already a better option would be to get a mixer that can act as a soundcard.

There are some good options for this with both studio and DJ style mixers. The Mackie Onyx and the Tascam Models are probably the most affordable route.

I use an Allen & Heath XONE:PX5 which has 5 stereo inputs, built in multimode filter and performance effects. As it happens I don’t bother capturing individual tracks, I just get the mix, but that’s due to other personal preferences and setup needs - but you could run your gear into it and capture everything as multitrack in addition to the final mix if that’s your poison.

All these options have some capability of running DAW tracks onto the mixer too, with mine I could have all 5 stereo channels being fed by USB so could mix on it fairly easily that way too.

It’s also what I run my TT into and can switch that channel on the fly so it makes for a convenient setup if you need a preamp too and doesn’t require any cable swapping.

It does sound like you could use a mixer with built-in USB multitracking. I use the K-Mix for this. It has 8 ins and 10 outs. You can route anything to anything, including to and from the computer.

Not saying you should get a K-mix, but it might be worth thinking in that direction.

Indeed - a mixer/interface is a good idea but bear in mind that you’ll want to think how many channels you might want in the future and either buy something with plenty of spare channels or expandability. You won’t be able to upgrade just the mixer part or just the interface part if they’re both the same device.

I use an A&H SQ5. All my hardware goes via a patch bay to the SQ5. I monitor the inputs directly. The SQ5 is also 32x32 USB interface and you can patch anything anywhere on it. So I have the 22 inputs, 4 stereo returns and the stereo mix patched to the USB inputs. Then I’ll load my DAW template and arm whatever tracks in using and capture each input dry, plus the FX returns which I sometimes use in a mix or just as a reference (it’s got some nice reverbs and delays), plus the stereo mix.

I can then either mix the individual tracks in the DAW, use the stereo mix as-is, or play the midi back (which also gets captured) after editing it and tweak & re-record audio parts as needed etc.

A&H QU series are great value too.

Lots of options to choose from in this area but check the feature sets carefully - since they do a lot there’s a lot of things they might do but not do quite like you want them to do.

Sigh – now I’m GASsing for a mixer/interface combo. For some reason I’ve always avoided that concept in the past. Maybe I thought I’d be missing out on some “analog mojo” or something I’m sure I’m incapable of hearing. Unfortunately for my GAS, I just got a new-to-me, used mixer off craigslist a few months go (Soundcraft EPM 16), so I’ll probably hold off on going down this rabbit hole for now…

I also use A&H SQ5 as my mixer & interface.

I set up a template which allows me to capture any synth direct and raw before processing, then also use Groups/Aux or Main L-R to capture the processed sounds.

This has been working well, can choose anywhere in the chain to record. Tbh I rarely record the dry channels atm and mostly use them for monitoring frequency analysers etc in ableton, or generating sidechain midi cc.