Your favorite sound design-oriented electronic pop innovators of past 5+ years?

Hey i’m a music dummy in terms of what is actually out there. In the post PC music, Dubstep, Sampledelica world, what artists, albums, genres in the electronic pop realm, sound genuinely of the current moment?

I’m thinking a strong emphasis on sound design like certain Animal Collective and all of Sophie, essentially little aspects of synth pop and IDM (which explores the entire sonic spectrum of possible sounds) tastefully curated into a popular form – but that has happened more recently. I remember the first time I heard her on college radio and was genuinely surprised and excited by something i hadn’t heard. A style and sound design aesthetic that struck me as entirely fresh and also had some popular appeal.

I’m having a little difficulty finding good sources for new music like this, or some kind of unifying genre to characterize/search it by. Thanks for any help.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat, I’m always looking for this kind of thing but so far nothing scratches the itch like SOPHIE does. I will say my fingers are crossed for Kelela’s upcoming album (her last one was kind of in this vein, and was excellent). Fever Ray is teasing something too, you should check her out if you haven’t already.
Not to be a hater but I was pretty disappointed that the “hyperpop” (gag) scene took most of its cues from like, 100 gecs & similar, instead of going in a more sincere & meticulous direction.

2 Likes

I’m still genuinely confused how these absolute chancers managed to worm their way into the music business.

It’s funny, there’s been a lot of retrospective fuss made of Max Tundra’s Mastered by Guy at the exchange album lately, what with it coming out 20 (:sob:) years ago. It’s a fucking great pop album and I guess it was pretty influential over the whole PC music thing.

Looking forward to Bjork’s new album, she always manages to sound fresh and very much of the moment and she’s always very current regarding who she likes to collaborate with, which then I guess leads to Arca, but I’m not actually that much of a fan of her music. She’s clearly a genius, but I never really vibe with her tracks, more just interested from a more academic, sound design point of view.

New Hudson Mohawke album is good, sort of what I think hyperpop should sound like, but doesn’t. He also worked on ANOHNI’s Hopelessness with Oneohtrix Point never, which, although six years ago, is my favourite pop album ever made, mostly because it’s the only pop album I’ve heard that’s angrier than I am. Some really good sound design in there too.

6 Likes

Awesome news.

I was just listening to Plunge the other day thinking it’s probably about time we heard some new Fever Ray.

4 Likes

Autechre will always be at the forefront. Just yesterday, I really enjoyed a deep listening of this one. It kinda doesn’t go anywhere but there are so many subtleties, such as the ever changing depth/weight of the kick, for example:

4 Likes

Thanks for the Kelela rec, i checked it out and dug it. Long time Fever Ray and Knife listener, excited for what that next album sounds like. Though it obviously has a sophie collab and was made by one of her collaborators, I will say that Jimmy Edgar album Cheetah truly does scratch the itch for early Sophie singles for me, and that’s a recent discovery. What do you think about that one?

I agree about 100 gecs and similar. I appreciate the lofi avant garde, but i find 100gecs stuff offensive to my sensibilities if we’re talking music i actually like (and not audio shitposting to prove a point or something). I like things to sound good even when theyre distorted, I truly don’t relish the nasty digital clipping sounds or things like that. I prefer mid or hifi and a more focused and “beautiful” sound where things have space. Feels prudish and geezerish to say and maybe that’s the point, but the hyperpop thing has indeed become way too nasty sounding to me, and i like black metal and generally tape lofi plenty.

Iglooghost and Little Snake.

2 Likes

I never listened to Hopelessness besides the lead single. I wasn’t an OPN fan at the time of it’s release, but have since become a superfan – so revisiting that record feels long overdue.

And wow, thanks for introducing me to Max Tundra, though it isn’t new, it’s still the kind of forward thinking thing I’m looking for in pop. Insanely cool.

Agreed about Bjork, always lots of sonic candy + accessibility in her work that fits the bill.
I also feel similar about most Arca. I think she could do better, some of it has become especially lofi and noisy to me. I’d probably like to hear the mega hi-fi version of what she’s doing.

1 Like

Absolutely, Autechre are like the Rosetta Stone for this kind of thing. I really enjoy when people take their approaches to sound design and tastefully apply it to pop forms, that is essentially what I’m after in this search for new music to listen to.

2 Likes

Cool cool. Maybe not quite what you’re after but some of Billie Eillish’s vocal work and harmonies are pretty delicious, especially in the way they’re processed/presented (almost ASMR)

3 Likes

…last real oooo and aaaaa in overall electronica and production skills for me was…
IVY LAB…and…EPROM…oh and…TWO FINGERS…and… LORN…

4 Likes

Sophia Kennedy is an artist who is mostly unknown who blows me away. Pop sensibility, but loads of depth and character. Really can’t recommend her enough.

1 Like

Amon Tobin as Two Fingers is amazing.

6 Likes

Amon Tobin SI incredible!

A few years back I saw Grun Wasser play and bought this album.
I love the whole thing!

It’s hard to find stuff that seems entirely fresh and still appealing.
I feel like rather thank being entirely fresh, I’m more of a fan of music that you can pick out influences, but don’t necessarily sound like carbon copies of what came before.
Something reminiscent but brings something new there as well.
Com Truise, the Horrors, HYDE, and tons of electro like Cygnus, E.R.P.

1 Like

…trippe yeah…did’nt know that tune…what a damn grrreat masterpiece…!

in the sonic game for so long…but still breathtaking when i hear something that powerful, skilful…griity 'n dirty but absolutey prestine and nailed to the spot at same time…oooof…reeeeespect.

2 Likes

You need Fins Perkons if you like this type of sound. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Here are few recent favs possibly in this vein

2 Likes

Aside from Autechre, The Knife / Fever Ray and SOPHIE (RIP), I think Jlin is pushing things

I like SOPHIE a ton more than her hyperpop counterparts. She not only had sound design bona fides, but she composed beautifully with them. Most hyperpop just comes off as throwing whatever everywhere. Whenever I try Im just like “…bro chill.” Or maybe since I dont consume Adderall / on TikTok all day I cant hear the composition.

4 Likes

About Sophia Kennedy: Thanks for the tip. Never heard of her, great find!

2 Likes

I take back what I said in the “can you hear the drugs?” thread. I can hear Adderall/dexedrine everywhere these days.

2 Likes