Your favourite cheap small boxes of tricks (synths, noise, effects)?

Almost forgot about this.

Glitch

The Glitch Storm is amazing fun. I actually created a new PCB for it, so I could put it into my modular, but on its own, it’s inexpensive, small, and fun!

Here’s my modular verision making noises:

The regular one is identical. My module conversion is purely for the interface.

3 Likes

This thread got me to dig out the Monotron. What a great little device, even on its own and messing with the cutoff and feedback, you can get some cool efx.

4 Likes

https://youtube.com/shorts/pj28M_5o5Uk?feature=share

This thing looks/sounds pretty cool. It’s still in the process of development but I’m keeping a close eye on it.

5 Likes

Those little guys, and a Pluto would be an amazing MicroSetup!

2 Likes

I’ve been curious about the Pluto since I first heard about it. I wonder if the developer is still planning to put out more batches…

Love my Werkstatt. Mavis looks sick too.

1 Like

i loved Axoloti before it became abandonware. it was my secret weapon – i used it not very conventional way, as MIDI processor.
luckily, iOS devices with Mozaic can do what i want, with fairly low latency.
but developing my own Axoloti objects was more fun than writing Mozaic scripts, Axoloti was certainly cheaper, and it’s „true“ hardware with a proper realtime (not generic) OS.

What’s stopping you from continuing to use it? Do you need the v2 midi stuff?

actually, nothing, and i continue using it with hardware that i bought back in the days (like Command Stations).
but i don’t use that older hardware much nowadays, because newer hardware (like Syntakt) is smaller & lighter.
and i developed my MIDI processing stuff for newer hardware with iOS/Mozaic.
maybe someday i’ll rewrite it for Axoloti as well.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I did not see that one before. It really captures the app’s sound.

Another cheap trick: Years ago I bought a completely banged up Digitech distortion pedal. Really abused looking. I think I got it because I was buying another used pedal and I took it because the seller was short on change.

It. Sounded. Horrible.

Kind of a cross between a fuzz pedal and a bit reducer that had been blended together in a broken kitchen blender. Clearly not how it should have sounded new.

But the odd buzzy smear it gave really made it fun to use for guitar or synth.

2 Likes

Maybe unpopular to say but I really didn’t like the microgranny.
Even getting samples on it was annoying as f###
It wasn’t ‘fun’ in any way
And unfortunately I have human hands which made removal of the memory card very difficult…

I have one. I don’t use it, but it is a piece of art I intend to hold onto.

I don’t think they are still being made, but the OSC03 by MASF is a neat, bare-bones noise generator. You basically get no-input mixing textures in a tiny box. Of course, it works wonderfully as a modulator for other analog devices. It also exists as a Eurorack module.

the thread title does say small though - the ASR-X is a beast!

1 Like

Whoops! Indeed. My mistake. Will edit.

Love this thread!

Volca Drum - love the sound and its fun to jam on although I’m nearly complete with my setup for controlling it via my Akai Force…

Korg KP3 - sampling and effecting Microfreak is great for creating new textures/loops

Shruthi 4PM - very new addition but I already have an Ambika so I’m familiar with the territory. Lush sounds and very versatile oscs and filter.

1 Like