Your Machinedrum live use experience

Hey guys I’m currently in the process of figuring out how to take my daw created songs and turn them into a live set all hardware based. Currently I’m using a virus with midi keyboard that I’ll play a synth part/ improvise, I have an sp404 which will either trigger oneshots or possibly trigger whole loops (bass, chords, etc) if the song is too complex. I also have a tr8 but may return it depending on what electron product I get. So i was looking at the machinedrum I figured it would be great for drums and variations and doesn’t have the 2 bar limit the tr8 has, it also can load my own drum samples which might be necessary for certain songs (the tr8 can’t do dnb breaks). I was wondering if the machinedrum can also sample bass lines? I’m thinking a one shot note and sequence it at different pitches on one of the 16 tracks, or just using a bass synth like the minitaur or monolancet and have the machinedrum midi sequencing it. I think for every track at least bass will be automated. Every time I think about the octatrack and setting up more than 3 synth tracks on it I just feel like it would be better served on the 404 putting it all on one pad especially since I’m going to have one hand playing notes anyway I’m not really sure how much live tweaking I’d do with my left hand. Other option would be keep the tr8 for drums, monomachine for bass and other synth pards, maybe sequencing analog synth, I think the machinedrum could work just don’t know if its sample time would be an issue, I’ll attach one track that’s shows a bit of the problems I’m running into: https://soundcloud.com/future-someday/whats-lucky . So for this track I woud play the virus and have the md play from the startat 23 seconds in I’m wondering if I could sample that bass note and play it on the machine drum maybe even the one shot white noise synth, and then at 38 seconds in it would be great if I could load up those drum hits to the machinedrum, maybe even as a one shot loop, 1:23 and on would just have to be a one shot sample on the 404/ octo because its different temp different sounds, it would be a pain to actually program all 5-6 tracks on the octo. I’m kind of interested in hearing others’ live setup experiences, something that would be engaging but also keeps the options of improvising for certain tracks.

Don’t forget the MDUW has 12bit sampling, so I might not be the same sound when using the sample.
But yes, you could generally do that: take a short bass sample and fire it from the MDUW.

What I found more flexible is to use single cycle waves and turn the ROM machine into a simple synth.

For your general approach:
the SP-404 is a cool machine, but it’s not really flexible for whole song / several loops, since there’s only one FX, no dedicated volume control per track etc. For one shots or a single loop it’s fine though.

I would not try to replicate your Ableton stuff within a hardware setup. I’ve tried that, but it’s not the same kind of game. If you want your Ableton tracks on stage, take the Laptop with you.
But can transfer your tracks, i.e. use samples and stems, try to do the VST synth line in your virus etc. Let the machines take that track to another place, especially the OT is great for turning some basic track into somethin completely different.

Last but not least, the MDUW is still my favourite piece of gear, it’s so simplistic yet deep. Never bored me in 7 years.

Last tip: a parapgrah every now and then makes it easier to read :wink:

Thanks for the reply, yea i thought my first post was getting a bit too long. The 12 bit sampling i don’t mind, its really more about the sample space. Like if you had a single cycle waveform would you also be able to chop up a whole break with the 2.5 mb limit? Also have you used your md to sequence a bass synth? Which would help with the sample limit, plus live tweaking of the synth. Oh and I use reason not live, i meant like as in a live set.

havent had luck with the single cycle wave forms, yet … would like a tutorial from somebody!
i sequenced the BSII once with the midi machines. there is a known bug regarding the midi machines on the MD… please other users comment… for me, it sometimes did not play in start sync when slaved… seemed to start randomly on an off beat… booh!
other than that, I d like to point out, that… just pluggin mp3 / synth into the inputs of the MD and then record the sample… is the easiest way to see how strong the MD can be in terms of sampling… same goes for a singer with a pre amped mic … you wont believe how nice 12bit samples can sound !!! (MD has nice delay and reverb)

yes you would, though it’s good you’re also considering an octatrack because for your purposes it might serve you better. the md is a great piece of gear and you could definitely use it for what you are planning, but you’d only be able to fit a handful of 2-bar loops into the md’s memory before maxing it out, and even then you’d have precious little room left for 1-shot hits. whereas the ot would give you loads of memory and built-in slicing features that would treat your breaks well.

i’d look through other threads on this forum where people are trying to decide between the two instruments and read other opinions, this topic has been discussed many times around here :slight_smile:

when you are loading a 1-cycle into the samplebank, be sure you tick the box in c6 that indicates it’s a 1-cycle, otherwise the md won’t loop it properly.

i find most 1-cycles initially sound pretty obnoxious on the md until you filter them. try them for basslines, where they can really punch … for this, lpf them heavily, add some q, and finetune the tone with the eq. crank down the hold parameter to about 8 for a nice staccato hit.

Is the midi bug for the machinedrum the same problem for the UW version? Cause that would be a deal breaker for me, I was going to use it to clock out and send midi notes to two other modules. Do you know if the monomachine has the same problem? Cause that might be another option for me.

If you’re trying to take songs out of a DAW into hardware I would go octatrack. MD is gonna give you hell trying to transfer a daw session worth of stuff to it and use it properly.
The MD would make more sense as a supplemental, new way of working - not as a translation to hardware tool…constantly loading samplebanks and snapshots, while faster than old gear, could be a rude awakening.

This solution or a Rytm would be my recommendation. Far more sample memory on Rytm, and a very straight forward workflow with samples as well.

Interesting, I didn’t even consider the Rytm, but that extra sample length might be perfect for my uses. Anyone have both Rytm and Machinedrum and prefer one over the other?

I have a Rytm and have used my friend’s MDUW+ on occasion.

Rytm is an instrument I particularly prefer for live performance, as the scene and performance modes allow you to work with several different variations on a single pattern and/or kit. I’ve done entire tracks that were just Rytm using 1 kit, 4 patterns, but had 8 scenes and 8 performance pads active as well.

Often it gets compared to MDUW+ by cursory glances at specification sheets, which is quite unfair. One may look at the Rytm as a simple 8 voice drum synth versus MDUW+'s 16 voices, and not consider that all Rytm’s voices have synth/sample layers that can be parameter locked to work somewhat independently (therefore 16 sounds), or the additional 8 choke groups, or that you don’t have to give up a voice for external audio input. Not to mention sound locks.
MDUW+ allows you to have 16 of the same synth if you want, so it’s quite a bit more flexible if you’re into synth based layering with less limitations.
Both instruments have strengths, both have limitations. In each case they are very different.

The winning entry to the latest science lab contest was done with a single sample and a Rytm, demonstrating what many of us already know, that it is an amazingly capable instrument.

Ok, I’m not a pro like you guys, this is my personal point of view.

For me, the sampler of the MD isn’t a real sampler. Because of the quality and the lenght of the sample. 2 bars… And randomly, my MD catches only 1 bar. Gives me headache, so I usually loose my calm and sample only small sounds/phases because of all those limitations. Because honestly, there are limitations. The SP404-SX purely explode the sampler of the MD, because it’s her main use. No limit (SD), FX, midi…

I mainly use the MD sampler to throw some synth or C6 some BD, SN… If you need to lay a simple bassline the MD will do the trick. P-lock here and there and it should be fine.

I tryed the AR 2 times and I was litteraly blown away. I felt like I could grab that box with the factory presets and gig in front of 1000 peeps. So instinctive, lots of FX. If you can, give it a try, really.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Literally?
Glad you put yourself back together to be able to type this post, and also… ya know… exist.
Will have to share your tricks with us.

[quote="“AdamJay”"]

Literally?
Glad you put yourself back together to be able to type this post, and also… ya know… exist.
Will have to share your tricks with us.[/quote]
Oh yeah, and it was hard. But sitting in front of my MD was a great help :joy: