Your Melancholic Tracks

Inspired by the thread Whats the most Melancholic Sounding Synth I thought we should have a thread where we can post our melancholic tunes.

Most people will probably skip a track that’s too sad but there’s great beauty and emotional depth in melancholic music and that’s what I always feel drawn to. Many of my favorite artists from the golden era of IDM and electronica like Boards of Canada and Telefon Tel Aviv made tracks full of melancholy. But also a modern artist like Lapalux makes very melancholic music.
Anyway, this thread is for our music.

6 Likes

Here’s a new track I made with the Kodamo EssenceFM and Octatrack.

12 Likes

model:cycles + quadraverb = Sadness

6 Likes

I just finished this up and I think it fits the bill :slight_smile: (skip the first 15 seconds)

The “melancholic” bits are done with the Digitone and a the Prophet 6 through the reverse reverb of the EHX cathedral.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Deleted most of my old music so it’s slim pickings here. Anyways:

Tired and maybe a little nostalgic. From memory it was done with a microKorg and DX200. Woke up from a nap with part of a tune stuck in my head, had the whole thing done within the hour.

Or more of a sitting in a dark room depression. Mostly Montage, Octatrack and maybe a bit of Reason in there. Originally an accident by importing something at the wrong sample rate which came out at half speed - went back and reworked it with intent.

1 Like

and…

10 Likes

this one is one of my top ones i’d say

and this one

3 Likes

It’s not the most melancholic thing but closer it’s outside my comfort zone of Techno, post punk, or idm I usually do.

8 Likes

Cool thread !
I think this one is my most melancholic, even tho it gets a bit angrier in the end:

3 Likes

This one is all Digitone with added lofi enhancement (+ M:C for the lazy drums):

(You need to get past the noise to get to the melancholia.)
And that one is Digitone+Hydrasynth (for the fading melody at the beginning and end):

2 Likes

Octatrack, microKorg and one or two instances of Ableton’s Wavetable.

3 Likes

Can’t remember what I have been using. Lots of samples for sure.

Being a big fan of minor chords, most of my music has a melancholic touch. I like this one because it’s quite different from what I do normally. Mainly based on piano sounds and some pads. The attempt was to create a kind of neoclassical piece

5 Likes

Most of my friends call my music mostly melancholic - this is not so wrong besides some few tracks. Mostly, because i tend to get emotionally touched when i listen to some deeper, sad stuff. My goal is to find a balance in a track with some rays of light. (Great thread idea btw.)

Here is some actual track of mine, i would call kind of melancholic.
OT, Microwave, Division Department o1/V, Hydra, Modor, Pro2 sequenced by a Cirklon

3 Likes

Not sure if dark or melancholic. But maybe this one.

6 Likes

3 Likes

I guess this qualifies?

3 Likes

Great thread!

This one has analog heat plastered all over a bunch of plugins and messing with the filter while recording into Ableton:

1 Like

emphasized textOlder track that was there in about an hour once and recorded in one take. Happend on a moment in life when i was on the edge of depression and a burn-out.