Your multitracks

As a self-taught enthusiast I always was interested to see how another people do their sound design and mixes.
Exploring multitracks and stems is a good way to learn something new.

I suggest to post your multitracks here.
It’s not a feedback thread.
It’s not a “mix it for me” thread.
If you have something interesting to share, just explain it and give it away!

What are multitracks and stems:
Multitrack is set of separated audio files which are used for mixing. Kick drum, synth pad and so on.
Stems are bigger partially mixed parts of a track. A whole drum kit, layered synth parts, double tracked guitars, etc.

How to use multitracks:
Copy all tracks to your favourite DAW and explore. The tracks are aligned (all tracks begin at the beginning of the song and have the same length). Sometimes the whole track is a single hit and four minutes of silence.

Share your multitracks!

For the beginning, I share a multitrack and stems of my recent track.

You can listen it here: White Sea | diswest

It was interesting to mix due it has a mixed genre and contains acoustic drums, different synths, guitars and orchestral instruments.
Sadly, I moved to ITB production recently , so no any Electron boxes are incorporated in this track. But it contains some interesting synth sounds, I believe.

Some details you can read in the README.txt file in the White Sea folder. A LOT MORE details (instruments, plugins, my routing, inserts, etc) you can find in the README.txt files inside the archives.
I’m going to make some videos about sound design and mix breakdown, but later, in a month or two.
If you want to listen to my version of the track, a link to the mastered version of the track can be found in this file as well.

Hope it’ll be useful for someone.
Enjoy!

Link to the archives (you need the White Sea folder):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17_m696ZmCEBHqS9XPp0LX8gJWSphn_Qw

That is a very nice track there!! from a creative point of view I really like it, and technically (which is more why were are here I guess) I really like it as well! mixed great, sounds very balanced and open.

I don’t really know what to look for in shared multitracks (except for if I would want to remix). If I would make something very similar I guess it could be good to explore how this track has been mixed, but then it would be more interesting to see how you processed the tracks and how they sound with/without processing…

I am looking forward for your videos on sound design and mix breakdown though :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a very nice track there

Thanks!

I don’t really know what to look for in shared multitracks

For me there are two reasons:

1. How did they do it?!
  2. Mixing training

They can be used for remixes as well but it’s not my point of interest.

About “how did they do it”.

I started as a guitarist. The problem with guitar sound is heavy processed mixes. It’s a whole point of frustration for beginners. You can buy the best instrument and amps, but your records will sound like a crap. And when you get access to multitracks of your favourite songs, you know, guitars there sound like a crap too. Because a third of guitar sound in a rock mix is a bass guitar and another third is processing.

Another reason is sound design. There are tons of tricks and approaches.
For example, opening arp in my track is a mix of kalimba, harp and weird metallic piano. And later, when it starts play octave lower it’s a mix between harp and synth patch.
If I like sound of some artist, I always explore youtube for “artistname studio”. Often artists don’t have such videos. I’ve listened to some songs dozens times until I understand how to achieve such kind of sound. Multitracks make it a lot easier.

If I would make something very similar I guess it could be good to explore how this track has been mixed

As for me, I don’t care about “very similar” things. I love to mix different genres and sounds. In this track I mixed together DnB, rock drums, orchestral and cinematic stuff, and some ambient ideas. I could do that because I consider different cool things I learned as my palette.
If there were more multitracks and mix breakdowns, my life would be simpler.
I cannot influence others, but I can start with myself and post my projects.

it would be more interesting to see how you processed the tracks and how they sound with/without processing

You’re absolutely right!
That’s why I published all kind of stems as well as unmixed multitrack. And wrote a few hundreds lines of readme with details of my mix. Somebody can listen tracks before mixing, after mixing and read what I used to achieve the sound of the mixed version.

I am looking forward for your videos on sound design and mix breakdown though :slight_smile:

One day I took my 0-coast, a single reverb unit and made a whole track using only these two pieces of gear. Here is a playlist with a full breakdown of this track: Pad | Make Noise 0-coast and A+ Astronaut V.2 - YouTube

1 Like